Where do I start?

GoldenMotor.com

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Order a couple of rear mounts,this will extend the engine forword to except the front down tube but try not to drill or weld on the frame,it will decrease the value of the bike should you decide to de-motorize it and restore to original for a future sale, the hocky puck thing works better then you might be thinking.

Last edited:

HBfisherman

Jan 5, 2010
Huntington Beach
So I am in a little predicament that I cant seem to figure out and this is where I stopped last time. My front motor mount is too far from the down tube, which is not a fat tube. I need to find a motor mount that will work.

What type of mount will work? Also in this position my pedals are rubbing the motor, would raising the motor alleviate that issue?

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
As I mentioned earlier in this thread "get another rear mount bracket and double up in the back of the engine, that will bring the engine foward"and allow you to mount the engine firmly & securely to the down down tube and depending on how much of the peddle is hitting the engine you would probably raise the higth postion of the engine, also allowing for peddle clearence too, a very simple a cost effective solution that shouldn't cause panic or greif, if all else get another frount mount and of course get longer bolts to accomendate for the length of extra material.
Do some shopping! on either side of this posting page, of this thread are several M?B vender sites to get the extra mounts and or other fastener type kits, some very costly! some moderate cost, some low cost, but again DON'T TRIP! it is a simple fix.

If the peddles still don't clear then go to any of the sites on either side of this post and look for a wider peddle assebly kit, usually the 3 piece bottom bracket(commenly known as the crank assembly) is sold with the wide peddle kit, the peddle arms should be 1/2" thread and except the peddles that are currently on the bike.

SIMPLE FIXES BRO, DON'T PANIC! and search this forum for other solutions as well go to search type in china mounts, how to mount a china engine, different mounts, this forum is the best place to gain knowledge about anything regaurding a M/B

HBfisherman

Jan 5, 2010
Huntington Beach
Truckd, you have been pretty helpful thanks.

Dirty, that red bike is pretty much what I am looking to do. It looks to me that you added a rear mount for the front and I take it you got the longer screws?

Whats the deal with the orange bike, those mounts look nice. How do they hook onto the motor?

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
You can get the mounts from Pirate Cycles,Phantom bikes and others I beleive and they are made with off set mounts for a Felt bicycle but work very well on other bikes, they actually put a good distance between the tire & chain.
I too love the old Schwinn Phantoms,I cose the Micargi Huntington Stretched Beach Cruiser for it's resemblance to the old Schwinn's and when I got it I was BLOWN AWAY!! with the High Quality components on this bike, now because it was a stretched frame I had too get something outta the box and bought this at Pirate Cycles for about $100.oo and it is very similar to the engine mounts of a car.
As I said earlier do everything possible NOT! to drill or cut the frame, you have an actual peice of history.
By the Dirty that rear mount tank looks good! Glad you chose it rather then jenk the bike all up

Attachments

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2010
Cincinnati,Ohio
.shft.Thanks trucked, Sportscarpat did the tank with a laided back seat post. You have a sweet looking ride as well. My apologies HBfishernan, didb't mean to rob your thread, any how this forum is the place for all your answers & needs to help you with your build. Have fun building & riding.

Sep 1, 2010
Cincinnati,Ohio
Truckd, you have been pretty helpful thanks.

Dirty, that red bike is pretty much what I am looking to do. It looks to me that you added a rear mount for the front and I take it you got the longer screws?

Whats the deal with the orange bike, those mounts look nice. How do they hook onto the motor?
Sorry got side tracked, I bought the motor mounts from Bikeberry.com. Look in the performance section. use the 1" mounts. you can buy a set around 80 dollars, or just one for the rear & use one stock spacer in the front. You need to take out the stock studs & use allen head bolts to lenght. I will tryto get some more pics tomorrow.

Sep 1, 2010
Cincinnati,Ohio
Well though i couldn't make ya wait till tommorrow. I re cropped a few pics to see more close-up. Here is 2 pics one has a motor mount in the rear bought from Bikeberry.com on my blue panther, & the other maroon schwinn deluxe cruiser has all stock motor mounts. Like tuckd said earlier, Use 2 mounts on the rear & one in the front, if you want to save money,or you can buy a set & use both custom mounts. seen on the Orange corvette Either way it's up to you.

Attachments

HBfisherman

Jan 5, 2010
Huntington Beach
You can get the mounts from Pirate Cycles,Phantom bikes and others I beleive and they are made with off set mounts for a Felt bicycle but work very well on other bikes, they actually put a good distance between the tire & chain.
I too love the old Schwinn Phantoms,I cose the Micargi Huntington Stretched Beach Cruiser for it's resemblance to the old Schwinn's and when I got it I was BLOWN AWAY!! with the High Quality components on this bike, now because it was a stretched frame I had too get something outta the box and bought this at Pirate Cycles for about $100.oo and it is very similar to the engine mounts of a car.
As I said earlier do everything possible NOT! to drill or cut the frame, you have an actual peice of history.
By the Dirty that rear mount tank looks good! Glad you chose it rather then jenk the bike all up
Nice bike!
I am not a hundred percent certain but I think the frame is the only piece of history on my bike, non the less I never plan on selling it. Nor do I plan on making any permanent adjustments. It looks like you notched out the fenders which I will need to also do on my bike because the chain runs right through it. I think I may just get rid of the fender all together which kills the looks of my bike because I think they complete it. But with all the horror stories I have read about them coming off and causing catastrophic damage I don't think they are worth it.

Well though i couldn't make ya wait till tommorrow. I re cropped a few pics to see more close-up. Here is 2 pics one has a motor mount in the rear bought from Bikeberry.com on my blue panther, & the other maroon schwinn deluxe cruiser has all stock motor mounts. Like tuckd said earlier, Use 2 mounts on the rear & one in the front, if you want to save money,or you can buy a set & use both custom mounts. seen on the Orange corvette Either way it's up to you.
Very nice bikes!
I think I am going to go with your first option and try it out before I commit to those expensive CNC mounts.

Completely off topic, but I see a lot of bikes without front brakes. Can I get away with only my coaster brakes?

Sep 1, 2010
Cincinnati,Ohio
Nice bike!
I am not a hundred percent certain but I think the frame is the only piece of history on my bike, non the less I never plan on selling it. Nor do I plan on making any permanent adjustments. It looks like you notched out the fenders which I will need to also do on my bike because the chain runs right through it. I think I may just get rid of the fender all together which kills the looks of my bike because I think they complete it. But with all the horror stories I have read about them coming off and causing catastrophic damage I don't think they are worth it.

Very nice bikes!
I think I am going to go with your first option and try it out before I commit to those expensive CNC mounts.

Completely off topic, but I see a lot of bikes without front brakes. Can I get away with only my coaster brakes?
Thanks, I enjoy the build challenges, then ride like the wind!! I wouldn't advise to rely on just the coaster brakes.Very dangerous. You just can stop quick enough when traveling 20-30mph. remember you are motoring not pedaling. What happens if you chain popped off / or broke? Yhen you would need to kill the motor & Fred Flinstone it to stop. Been there done that not fun. Here is one last pic of the stock mounts & allen bolts I used in my brothers bike ( maroon red one). later Dirty.shft.

Attachments

HBfisherman

Jan 5, 2010
Huntington Beach
What size bolts did you use to replace the front? I think I am going to leave the back mount stock and get an extra mount for the front but cant figure out what size bolts to buy. Bikeberry is showing out of stock on the front bolts.

Sep 1, 2010
Cincinnati,Ohio
.shft.HB don't sweat it, I can send you 2 rear bolts & engine mount no charge; just PM me your address & i'll send them to you. rear bolts are 3 3/4" length & front is 2 1/4" lenght both M 6 X 1.0 thread metric. You will need to remove the stock studs from the engine. I had to hack off a 1/4"of the rear bolts cause my threads on the engine block wasn't threaded enough. sometimes the manufactures of these engines are rushed with orders & poor quality control is not the best. Check the mounts when you bolt it to see if threads are ok, then you will know if you need to cut to proper length. have fun!!

Attachments

HBfisherman

Jan 5, 2010
Huntington Beach
.shft.HB don't sweat it, I can send you 2 rear bolts & engine mount no charge; just PM me your address & i'll send them to you. rear bolts are 3 3/4" length & front is 2 1/4" lenght both M 6 X 1.0 thread metric. You will need to remove the stock studs from the engine. I had to hack off a 1/4"of the rear bolts cause my threads on the engine block wasn't threaded enough. sometimes the manufactures of these engines are rushed with orders & poor quality control is not the best. Check the mounts when you bolt it to see if threads are ok, then you will know if you need to cut to proper length. have fun!!
Thanks for going out of your way to help me Roger, I really appreciate you taking your time and money to send me out the parts that I need.

Will keep you posted on my build.

HBfisherman

Jan 5, 2010
Huntington Beach
Still stuck, it looks like I'm going to need an additional mount with longer screws for the front. I have a hockey puck that I am currently trying to fashion a puck into a mount. So needless to say a project turned into another project. I think I screwed up, I currently have 6 different projects going on with absolutely no time.

Soon dnut

Sep 1, 2010
Cincinnati,Ohio
dnutLet me see if i can find one. Now remember you would use 2 engine mounts in the rear of motor & 1 in the front of motor, This would position you motor perfect for your Schwinn frame. Darn, I torn thru my parts box & can't find any more. But i can send you out the bolts for the front mount. These bolts are M6 X 45 MM 1.0 threaded pitch, same as the stock studs. All you need is another engine spacer. Any one care to help out HB FISHERMAN on this build quest? I'll get the bolts out to ya, via mail tommorrow or Thursday. Have fun & can't wait to see pictures! Later Dirty

HBfisherman

Jan 5, 2010
Huntington Beach
Your too kind I appreciate you going out of your way once again I am going to try to fashion the puck, but I will still order the mount because I am sure that'll be a better route. Once again thanks!