Engine won't start :(

GoldenMotor.com

tmcgradyr01

Oct 28, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
The engine used to start fine with ease, but now no matter how hard I paddle, it's a no go. I've noticed that the throttle doesn't turn as smoothly as it should be. I checked the carb slide and it's stuck inside the carburetor and now I am unable to get it out. I know everything is assembled right, since I had no problem with it before.

The only tweak I made I can think of is sliding the engine more upwards. I did accidentally turn the carburetor upside down with the fuel line attached and made some gas spill on the floor. I don't know if that would really do anything.

I've just ordered some new spark wire and plug, so I'm going to give that a go. If it still doesn't work, I absolutely have no idea what could be wrong with it.

One more thing. Before, everytime I twisted the throttle, the engine would sound like it's opening up prior to starting up. Now, when I turn the throttle, there is absolutely no change in sound of the engine. Help?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
firstly, you got to get rid of the paddles. it ain't a kayak. (just kidding. i'm drunk and making fun with your spelling)

nextly, you say the carb slide is stuck. that's probably the whole problem. you need to figure out why it's stuck, and get it unstuck. if the tiny pin that keeps the slide in place got loose or jammed, you need to fix that. if the spring broke, clip fell off, whatever...

you basically answered your problem already. moving the motor, buying new stuff, none of that will solve it if your carb slide's stuck.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
bairdco's prolly right, this slot in the side of the slide and the lil pin inside the carb have caused others to have similar problems;

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Just keep workin' it, you may be able to get it to move a bit by prying carefully w/a padded screwdriver (coupla layers of masking tape) by removing the air filter and going in through the inlet side. Pull gently on the cable while yer doing this - but careful, that lil nubbin on the end of the cable isn't all that rugged. Wiggling gently & time works far better with less damage than brute force.

A warning tho - the slide & pin may be damaged now and/or as a result of attempting to pry it out, while it may not be too bad and functional/fixable - don't sweat it too much, carbs are cheap and yours may have been flawed anyway if it simply wasn't assembled wrong.

Post pics of any damage/marring when you do get it apart... prolly wont be to bad but it'll be handy to see ;)

You've prolly figured this out - but it'd be far easier to have the carb off the bike to do this :)

hmm... you mentioned previously that you could twist the throttle, ya might wanna check both the cable ends and the twist grip's plastic channel where the cable rests - you may have damage to those components as a result of the stuck slide. The plastic throttle in particular is suspect - I accidentally disemboweled one, pulling the cable end right through it simply by twistin' the throttle a touch too enthusiastically :p

Last edited:

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
its getting cold. i busted the twist throttle a few days ago....

on your slide just all of a sudden "getting stuck" funny story.....
my slide did the same thing. one day i had to get it out and sand down the outside so it would fit again. i have no idea how it could come to be but it was definitly weird.