Crazy throttle problems...

GoldenMotor.com

Street Asasn

Oct 8, 2009
Austin, TX
So i rebuilt my carb recently, used norms guide heavily (thanks!)
Now I have no throttle response, its like its wide open from the get go...
I can give it a little more gas, but have to use my brake as a speed control!
When I pull in the clutch the engine REVS super high!!!
Possibly an air leak? I just took a death ride on this insane machine to pep boys and got some black silicone... any help appreciated!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Sounds to me like you might have installed the slide (barrel) backwards. There are two slots in the sides of it. The long slot goes on the right, the short one to the left.
To check if the slide is working, remove the air cleaner and look into the throat of the carburetor. Work the twist grip and see if you can detect any up-down action of the slide. Get back to us with what you find. You also want to make sure the end of the cable is attached correctly to the slide.
Tom

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Is the idle screw in too far?
Is the little washer between the spring and the needle?
Is the cap that the cable goes through on all the way and not cross threaded?

Street Asasn

Oct 8, 2009
Austin, TX
the reason i had to get a rebuild kit was i wanted to explore the carb a little, and put it back together and screwed it on tight not realizing there was a guide for the slide, need less to say this ruined my slide and i had to pull it out with vise grips... the guide was still there when i rebuilt it, but now i realized its not there anymore and is letting the slide rotate. adjusting the idle screw would only let the slide rest on the screw hence the crazy high revs! I got everything seated all the way down now, just have no idle... guess its time for a new carb!
thanks for the help

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
I worked on a fellas bike for him, because he also had high revs and come to find out the guide was missing. so I replaced with a piece of 3/32" tig rod. had to finesse it a little but it worked without having to replace the carb.

Street Asasn

Oct 8, 2009
Austin, TX
Thanks for all the help, here's what I ended up doing.
Got some mini drill bits and PK weld from harbor freight..
Was about to drill it out when I noticed a little brass wire sticking out a tiny bit.
Used some tiny vise grips and voila! Hole in the carb!
Looking at this little 2-3mm brass rod reminded me of the carb needle and was gonna use that as a guide.. just a tad to snug so i pulled a drill bit the same size as the needle. I just barely had to drill it there was like 2 crumbs of metal shavings. Was about to pk weld the needle in when I realized I might need that in the future and the best thing would be to use the end of the drill bit since it was the exact same size and easy to get. After it dried and i cut off the drill bit its still easily usable! So theres a 2 for 1!