Ever get mad at motorists? This'll help.

GoldenMotor.com

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Whenever I get a little bit fed up with the behavior of those folks who are behind the wheel, this guy makes me feel better. So I thought I'd share it with those of you who're not familiar with him.

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mjh/spike.html#precursor

Down at the bottom of the page I came across something that was new to me. The guy describes a somewhat manufactured road rage incident with, I think, Mike Royko. Though he doesn't actually put Mike's name down.

Royko was a guy who I mostly liked. Still, you could tell that he had a few issues, too. So I guess I don't find it too hard to believe. But it's probably fiction, all the same.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
I guess it's safe to post this in this thread.

Yesterday a bigass delivery truck cut me off and would have ran me off the road if I did not avoid deftly by braking hard and veering to the right. When I say cut me off I mean that he was coming from behind me on my left and then started into my lane before his truck was even halfway past me. I caught up with him in less than half a block because of the heavy traffic. I got off the bike in a flash and started yelling. Then I adjusted his mirror. Then I opened his door and grabbed what I could, toolbox etc. and tossed them onto the sidewalk. I hurled no racial remarks and resisted the impulse to give him a beat down mostly out of courtesy to the cars behind and the complications which might have followed. Then I went home to relax with a beer. Urge to kill subsiding.

I am 57 and getting real tired of drivers who think it's ok to push me around on the road. I keep up at general traffic speeds so I'm not slowing anyone down. Sometimes it just boils over. Usually I just cuss at them but this situation was potentially deadly for me so I opted for a more practical demonstration.

I'm a very courteous driver myself and I always use hand signals etc. and I don't dodge in and out of traffic like I see many motorcyclists do. I'm not really a violent person unless my life is put at risk for absolutely no reason.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Whenever I get a little bit fed up with the behavior of those folks who are behind the wheel, this guy makes me feel better. So I thought I'd share it with those of you who're not familiar with him.

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mjh/spike.html#precursor
Thanks bulegoat, what a cool Bicycle based Action comic book.
A pretty talented writer for what many riders wished they could do back before the age of bicycle acceptance and even popularity today.

Too bad he doesn't have an illustrator, this would have made for a cool comic book back in the day, on sale at bicycle stores and events of course ;-}

Maybe blatant intended bicyclist harm is still common by location these days, I just don't see it around here.

What I do see is inattentive distracted drivers.

People will yield to a bike, especially a motorized bike that can keep up, from behind as they see you for awhile, in front of you they may see a bicycle, they just don't register your MB speed on glance.

A front strobe light changes most of that, it's that extra second a driver takes to actually see you and determine your speed that does it.

Sure there are dicks that would pull out in front of a car and not care, but I think most drivers these days would just as soon avoid you if they saw you.

Then again, the world is full of dicks out for kicks and a bicycle is easy ambush prey.

-----------

So in today's world...

Public Awareness in the news and late night TV.
The law is on the bikers side now.
Video evidence, and riding something that simply can't go unnoticed gets attention in the courts and then the media.

Just thoughts to make it safer for all of us that doesn't involve explosives ;-}

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
It helps me to remember all the vehicles that pass by me without incident on a ten-to-fifteen minute trip. It keeps the idiots I do encounter in perspective. Because, to be honest, there still isn't much of a shortage yet.
But worse, and more dangerous, are the intentional dicks. People who are "cycle-blind" are bad enough. But the day I was at the bus stop and saw the guy in the blue PT Cruiser come up, start to pass the man on the scooter, then side-swipe him into the construction area so as to take his lane and pass other vehicles faster, I realized the full measure of our danger. All of us at the bus stop heard the slam - so there's no way the driver inside the PT Cruiser didn't. Heck, it would have scratched up his driver side door. The act was clearly intentional. And the PT Cruiser driver DIDN'T EVEN PAUSE. He drove on. Until the scooter guy got up, cursing, we weren't sure if he made it.

Since then, just in this town, I've heard of rare but similar incidents, involving either mopeds or motorcycles along with cars or trucks, where most evidence and testimony pointed to an intentional act on the part of the car or truck driver. Sometimes the biker did not survive. Accidents on Kentucky Avenue are often brutal.
While most involve just plain stupid people, there do seem to be a few motorists out there who seem unable to abide sharing the road with the likes of us, and have no qualms about taking it out on us. So try to stay safe folks.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
......... what a cool Bicycle based Action comic book...........

.............Maybe blatant intended bicyclist harm is still common by location these days, I just don't see it around here.

What I do see is inattentive distracted drivers.

...........Just thoughts to make it safer for all of us that doesn't involve explosives ;-}
It does seem as though blatant intended harm, and/or really gross auto negligence, is more common in some places than in others, doesn't it?

I'm pretty lucky there. I've been riding these same streets for over twenty five years now and I'm sure that no one yet has tried to kill me or run me off the road, or anything like that. Every now and then some shaggy dog in an old Camaro will yell, "You freakin' loser!!!!" or something like that. But it's not common. Plus that's actually just rudeness. And while it's hostile, it's not the same thing as actually trying to cause someone harm. They think they're being clever. (Not) And I think that's their motivation for it. (It does say something, though, about the general level of maturity in our society. They perceive you as being alone and friendless out there on the road. So they become bullies. It's really not all that common. But it's more common than it should be in a species that considers itself --ourself?---to be such a big, screaming deal.)

I also carry myself like someone who knows what he's doing out there. And I think that does make a difference. I think the drivers are less hostile if they're not apprehensive about the possibility of you doing something unexpected and crazy.

It helps me to remember all the vehicles that pass by me without incident on a ten-to-fifteen minute trip.............

...........While most involve just plain stupid people, there do seem to be a few motorists out there who seem unable to abide sharing the road with the likes of us, and have no qualms about taking it out on us. So try to stay safe folks.
Over the years I've gotten the impression that Indianapolis is one of those places that's a bit hard on bicycles. It's a shame because it's a city that I mostly like.

Not that I know the place like the back of my hand, but I've wandered around in there and looked the place over many times. One impression I've gotten is that, on the edges and in the suburbs particularly, there are too many main arteries and too few side streets that actually go anywhere. That makes for very bad bicycling. I'll bet I don't have to tell you that, Allen, do I?

All in all, I don't perceive the roads to be really all that hostile. And a lot of motorists really are pretty considerate of me. But there is something that I think would help a great deal. It involves a mis-understanding on the part of the motorists.

You see, the reason that they are so frustrated and quick to anger is all of those other cars that are everywhere getting in their way. Driving anywhere today actually is a matter of getting in line and waiting your turn. There are too many cars on too few roads.

Guys like us were smart enough to get out. Yet when they come across us they tend to be quick to blame us for their daily traffic frustrations.

They could benefit, and so could we, if they'd question their love affair with their car. But no one, almost literally no one wants to do that.

But things aren't too bad. We can get along. But those of us on two wheels will be smart to keep in mind that we're usually operating right near the figurative teeth of a running buzz-saw. It's something to keep in mind at all times.