HELP! Broken clutch button

GoldenMotor.com

HottPott

Oct 13, 2014
San Marcos, TX
Hey guys, this is my first time posting. I finally registered so I could share this picture.

I constructed a new clutch lock pin using a small socket that I would probably never use anyway! For my handle the 5.5mm socket fit a little smaller than perfect, but any bigger sockets were a little too big. I had to drill out the inside of the sprocket just a little bit for the nail to fit through.

I used a cheap nail, to go up through the bottom of the clutch locking pin hole of the clutch handle. I sized it by putting it through the hole and through the socket then cut it with my wire cutters, then I cut a big groove in it for the JB weld to grab onto.

I cut the sides off that little washer thinking I would have to fit it into the large handle hole to prevent the spring from coming out the bottom, but I ended up not even needing it.

A penny or a dime makes the whole button look prettier. I cut a bunch of grooves in the back of it to grab onto the JB Weld Putty.

I cut an extra throttle cable spring and sized it on the handle before cutting.

Once all the parts were ready I...

1. Mix up a bit of JB Weld putty.
2. Smear some into the grooves of the penny.
3. Smear some into the groove on the nail.
4. Fill the wide side of the socket with JB Weld.
5. Put the nail through the bottom of the lock pin hole on the clutch handle.
6. Put the spring onto the tip of the nail, and slide it down.
7. Put the socket over the nail with the wide side up.
8. Press the nail into the JB Weld putty inside the socket.
9. Press everything together with the penny on top.

There should be very little spring pressure pressing against the socket when it's all together. I held mine together with channel locks with inner tube wrapped around their handles to keep them gripping on the button.

Attachments