first crack at it, going for that btr style

GoldenMotor.com

stromberg97

Aug 2, 2012
United States
What you have is a 3/4 inch steel pipe elbow. It should have 3/4 cast into it. If it was cast iron the flanges around where the pipe screws in would be a lot thicker and would actually touch each other.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
What you have is a 3/4 inch steel pipe elbow. It should have 3/4 cast into it. If it was cast iron the flanges around where the pipe screws in would be a lot thicker and would actually touch each other.
So, what is the steel pipe normally used for? Is this a standard hardware store item? I'm familiar with cast iron pipe fittings, but it sounds like this is a different critter. Would this be strong enough to support a 225 pound circus bear?
SB

zolson88

Apr 3, 2011
ohio
its not cast iron, its a steel pipe with threaded ends.... I weigh 160 and don't notice any flex couldn't imagine these parts being expensive if you wanna look around your hardware store I believe theyre for gas and steam lines

JohnThomas Sorrels

Dec 28, 2011
Ramona/ San Diego
The pipe he is referring to is probably 3/4" i.d. black steel pipe. It is plenty thick and pretty strong, the only issues is it is typically softer steel than the tubing you'd buy from a metal place and the wall thickness will vary more than tubing. I've used it plenty of times for little projects and it would probably be fine for sleeves in a bike frame, it actually welds really smooth compared to regular 1018 mild steel but I wouldn't suggest it for a whole frame as its not that much cheaper than comparable sized mild steel tubing and the tubing would be uniform in strength.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
The pipe he is referring to is probably 3/4" i.d. black steel pipe. It is plenty thick and pretty strong, the only issues is it is typically softer steel than the tubing you'd buy from a metal place and the wall thickness will vary more than tubing. I've used it plenty of times for little projects and it would probably be fine for sleeves in a bike frame, it actually welds really smooth compared to regular 1018 mild steel but I wouldn't suggest it for a whole frame as its not that much cheaper than comparable sized mild steel tubing and the tubing would be uniform in strength.
So what do you think about using it in this application, especially for a 225 pound circus bear? I like that bear and don't want to see him hurt his ample butt.
SB

JohnThomas Sorrels

Dec 28, 2011
Ramona/ San Diego
So what do you think about using it in this application, especially for a 225 pound circus bear? I like that bear and don't want to see him hurt his ample butt.
SB
The application he is using it for (as sleeves in a bike frame) I think is fine, the bike frame material is probably thinner than any part of the pipe so it should hold. I wouldn't use pipe in place of real tubing on a whole frame, especially in a motored application (china-girl maybe). For example I am using .120 walled tubing on my bike, size and thickness wise it is very similar to the pipe, however the tubing I'm using is rated at 80,000 psi tensile strength, where the pipe is around 30,000 psi, the pipe isn't really meant to be structural it is meant to hold a certain amount of pressure from the inside therefor the wall thickness isn't very uniform like tubing that is made to a higher specification.

Last edited:

stromberg97

Aug 2, 2012
United States
SB
I wouldn't worry about the fitting failing but I would worry about the pipe cracking at the threads. It might not support a load on the end of the pipe acting as a lever on the weakest point being the threads. Remember material was removed from the thickness of the pipe when it was threaded.

zolson88

Apr 3, 2011
ohio
got around to getting a rear drop stand, I didn't care much for the one I had, and I got a rear fender on it finally. I feel it really completes the look I was going for.