My daily cruiser: Schwinn Drifter/Dax

GoldenMotor.com

adastra

Aug 25, 2012
Tennessee
I haven't taken it out much since last year due to the weather, but there's no excuse now. Thought I would show some pictures of it.

Bike is Schwinn Drifter. Saw it at Sears, and it passed the magnet test, plus I liked the springer fork.

Wheels are 11ga spokes from Husky. Tires are solid Amerityres (I may be switching back to balloons, at least the ears).

Side-pull front brake also came from Husky as it did a good job fitting around the balloon tires, though in retrosopect I don't need it now. I thought about getting a Worksman wheel with a drum brake, but I couldn't find one for sale when I was putting the thing together, and I don't go very fast anyway. It works well enough with the coaster-brake as a backup, for now.

Handlebar is some apehanger I got for an old ratbike and swapped out.

Headlamp is some chinese thing i gutted out, and swapped the inneards with LED lights from a garden center, rewired for recharable batteries. I like the way it looks better than the way it illuminates. I'll be replacing it. There's a rear multi-pattern led light system not visible.

Motor is a Dax Super Titan and a Dax friction drive with the smaller 1 inch roller. I'm a big guy (but getting smaller hopefully the more I peddle.. lost 60 pounds already since last year.. don't think a big bike would have helped), and it's hilly here, so I needed the extra pulling power. I'm not in a hurry.

Anyway, thats it. I got a lot of ideas from you guys on on this forum. If I could just stop tinkering with it.
cvlt1

Attachments