NE-R Carb

GoldenMotor.com

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
I've been thinking of using a WC-1 carb in place of the keihin PTF 16mm carb that came with the NE-R.
I pulled off the carb to see what size main jet it had in it, 78, the exhaust pipe was blue at the exhaust elbow, so i know the main jet was to small, i also notice that the throttle valve had been modified.
I decided to see if i could get this carb to work, or see how good, or bad it was. i removed the 78 main jet and put in a 80 main jet, it still didn't seem right, so in went a 82, it got much better.
now the 84 main jet, the plug and performance got right.
I'll still try the WC-1 in the future, I'm trying to get use to this CVT, i like it. Anybody out there with a NE-R?

Ray

Attachments

Last edited:

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
I dont see why the cvt wont work....thing should offer really low gearing on take off and then even up........I think everyone wants faster acceleration maybe?
I'd buy that engine and cvt if someone pulled one off and didnt use it alot.

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
racie35, this this CVT eats up a lot of rpm's, but i still like it. once it is up and running it's great. I have heard that there are some problems.

This NE-R has some history to it, so it will stay intact. A good friend of mine bought this bike a year ago, he is the third owner.

The NE-R was pick up from Texas in 2008 and was East Coast bound, there it stood until it was sold on feebay. then it made it's way the West Coast, So Cal to it's new 2nd owner. another year later my good friend gets a call from a guy who wants to sell him a whizzer, my friend asked him what kind of whizzer is it, he tells him a 2008 NE-R, my friend tells him he'll give him a number to someone who might be interested, the guy says no, he wants him to have it. my friend ask him how much?
A DOLLAR, my friend says again how much? again a dollar. my friend ask if he can call him back in a hour, once again he asked how much, again a dollar.

My friend ask, why me? the guy said that he sold him some vintage whizzer parts about 15 years ago and that he treated him with great kindness.
You see what kindness can do.
So off to San Diego he goes to bring home the NE-R.

Ray

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
pays to be kind and fair doesn't it......Im looking for one of those engines and cvt's to fiddle with.....I bought an ambassador thats been stripped and hafta figure out what I wanna put on it.......My NE5 has too much speed so I dont see why a cvt would be so harmful

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
The vintage whizzer Bi- matic transmission would be a better choice, i'll look out for the motor and tranny for you.

Ray

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
the auto clutch on my NE5 works really well too....what I really liked was the video on youtube with the 212 predator and a cvt on a felt bike......that thing was nice

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
I've been doing some comparing between the NE-R (2008) and the (1999) WC-1.

The NE-R has 26" wheels like the WC-1
The 99 wheels are 26" x 2.125
The 08 wheels are 26" x 3

The 99 has slip clutch or auto
The 08 has CVT, I like all 3

Oh, the NE-R has disk brakes.... I likey

I'll add more as i have a chance to make some changes with the NE-R.

I added a pic of the Sportsman with the NE-R too, I'm starting to like the color Red.

Ray

Attachments

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
Hi racie, sorry for the long delay.
I haven't had to order anything yet. with the holidays and all there hasn't been alot of time spent with the whizzers,but, i did find that the cvt runs pretty hot.
I'm thinking of using heat coating to some of the parts, i'll do the shaft that goes through the seat post first, then go from there.
The pic of the shaft that is broken didn't happen with me,so i don't know who, or what was the cause,when i can i'll get started.

Thanks,
Ray

Attachments

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
doesnt look like it got hot does it? but I think I see a galled area just after the break on the small part?.....maybe a bearing or part was hanging up or had room to wobble?

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
Hi racie, it gets hot, i just haven't had any time yet, i'll post some pics of the cvt when i get more time. it's been cold here, 58 degrees today,brrrrrr

Ray

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
I finally got sometime in with the NE-R, i replaced the 16mm carb with #85 main jet, with the 19mm carb off of a WC-1 motor. it ran better but, i'm thinkin maybe the 20 or 22mm carb will be better. sounds like more riding time is needed, oh well.

Ray

Attachments

Last edited:

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
The NE-R runs well with the WC-1, but i can't get it to idle off the carb.
so i replaced it with the 20mm carb, started with a 88 main jet and worked my way back to a 85 main jet. idle works well from the carb.
the exhaust pipe at the exhaust elbow still looks like i'm running lead, i'll go with the 22mm carb soon.

Ray

Attachments