Boo yeah! I got my plate in the mail!

GoldenMotor.com

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California

Reg and plate just came! Now I'm totally legal and livin' regal!

Yes, I know I'm missing my rear brakes. One of them broke when I removed it, so I have to get a new brake system for the back at some point. Front brakes are working just fine in the meantime.

Flattracker

Dec 4, 2009
TX
???? What??? Registration and plate?? Your state has bicycle laws? THAT SUCKS REAL BAD!! Be careful riding with only front brakes. I once owned a Honda V45 Sabre and had a minor rear brake problem which made me rely more on my front brake. After months of neglecting to repair the problem with the rear brake caliper, the frame cracked at the neck and the frame. The whole front end would have snapped off had I not caught it. I sold the bike.

Last edited:

Nikko

Jun 23, 2011
So Cal
how did you get plates? i live in So CAL and tried but they said its not considered a motorized bike unless it goes over 30mph, can be pedaled, hasa multiple gear transmission and something else but since i only have 1 gear they said its still considered a bicycle.
ive been pulled over before and i tell them that and there fine

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
how did you get plates? i live in So CAL and tried but they said its not considered a motorized bike unless it goes over 30mph, can be pedaled, hasa multiple gear transmission and something else but since i only have 1 gear they said its still considered a bicycle.
ive been pulled over before and i tell them that and there fine
Here are the official qualifications for what a "motorized bicycle" is in California.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d01/vc406.htm

For our HT gas engines, here's what we need to qualify:

- No more than 3 wheels.
- Fully-operative pedals.
- Automatic transmission. Our engines only have one gear, so that qualifies as automatic. It's even okay if we have a clutch.
- Engine cannot produce horse-power over 2.
- Maximum speed of 30mph on level ground.

I got my plate and registration by filling out this registration application and sending it to the DMV with a check of $19.
http://dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg230.pdf

In section A, you have to answer YES to 4 questions in order for your bike to qualify:

1. Two-wheel or three-wheel device?
2. Fully operative pedals for human power or powered solely by electrical energy?
3. Automatic transmission and a motor with less than 2 gross brake horsepower?
4. Maximum speed of 30 miles per hour on ground level?

If your bike has a 2 stroke motor like the rest of us do, you should be able to answer yes to all those questions, which means your motorized bike is perfectly legal and you're entitled to a plate.

Just a few weeks later I got an envelope in the mail with my registration and the plate. I used zip ties to fix the plate to my bike.

On that application, use your bike's serial number as the Vehicle Identification Number. It's usually on the bottom of your bike's pedal crank shaft. If it's not there, just make one up like "03D0057200". It would be a good idea to stamp the VIN number somewhere on your bike frame later if you make up a number. For the engine number, use the last 4 digits of your VIN number. You'll also have to write down your "make". Just make something up for that. I called mine a "scorpion". Don't leave the "make" space blank, or they'll send it back to you asking to correct it.

I think it's a good idea to get a plate if you can because it might mean you'll get pulled over by cops less often.

Nikko

Jun 23, 2011
So Cal
i need to do that, in the motorcycle DMV handbook it says motorized bikes are exempt from licensing, registration plate, and financial responsibility so doesnt that mean we dont need plates?

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
i need to do that, in the motorcycle DMV handbook it says motorized bikes are exempt from licensing, registration plate, and financial responsibility so doesnt that mean we dont need plates?
Where does it say that? Are you sure you aren't reading the section that only applies to electric motorized bikes?

daRog

Apr 15, 2011
California
Electric bikes are exempt. Gas powered bikes are not exempt.

Nikko

Jun 23, 2011
So Cal
oh alright thanks i will mail my form soon, ive gotten pulled over in my area and the police are really cool, he didnt cite me for anything, and he didnt really know much about the laws here, so basicaly as long as you ride on the side of traffic and wear a helmet there cool with you.

daRog

Apr 15, 2011
California
Reg and plate just came! Now I'm totally legal and livin' regal!

Yes, I know I'm missing my rear brakes. One of them broke when I removed it, so I have to get a new brake system for the back at some point. Front brakes are working just fine in the meantime.
Missing brakes aside, looks like you've got all the extra gadgets in place that the five-o likes to see on MABs around here. Kudos.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I already posted proof about 3 times within the last few days
that what you keep quoting is for electric bikes which are CVC 406 (b)
Try reading a little more carefully.....

DMV website says quite clearly that gas bikes CVC 406 (a) need the plate.

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
oh alright thanks i will mail my form soon, ive gotten pulled over in my area and the police are really cool, he didnt cite me for anything, and he didnt really know much about the laws here, so basicaly as long as you ride on the side of traffic and wear a helmet there cool with you.
That's pretty much how we go about it. As long as you have a helmet, follow the rules, have a light and a mirror, you should be good to go. Most police don't know all the specifics by heart, so they look to make sure we're riding safe and properly.

rockabilly dan

Jan 25, 2011
adelaide south australia
well done mate, here in australia, south australia to be specific, they are a no go, and if you do have one, it cant exceed 1/4hp, cant exceed 15mph (25kmh) with assistance and 3.5mph (6kmh) without assistance from pedalling, ****, i can walk faster than that !!
so hopefully we can adopt a similar legislation as you have in cali, by having a plate type of system.