howard hughes's motorized bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Very cool Dan...One of the best books I read was "EMPIRE" a biography about Howard Hughes. Great read if you like long books !!

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
Thankyou Dan. I enjoy looking at old photographs of motorcycles, motorized and regular pedal bicycles. It's interesting how "Young Howard" used motorized bicycles to shape and form his early mechanical skills, and how he pirated parts off a motor to make the bicycle and on a separate project: parts off a door bell to make a radio and how he took apart and put back together a Stutz Bearcat. Maybe I'm tripping too much. I'm trying to see evidence of a controlling mother in the motorized bicycle build. The bicycle looks like it was built more for purpose than with the free flowing lines of style. I like how it looks: raw and purposeful.

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Hughes motor bike 1917 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I still think it's cheating if ya lose the pedals, but hey.
I am a serious nut for reading, watching or seeing anything about "The Howard"... My dad got to work with him in the mid 50s and has several pics with him and some of his planes. He was definitely a genius in many ways and ahead of his time. I had seen his motorcycles but didnt see this about Bicycles...

Thanks Dan.

Last edited:

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Mark You should check out that book EMPIRE it was written shortly after he died when all the people who knew him were still alive.

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
I have it and have also read the book "Howard" that was written by Noah Deitrich who was his money man till the Mormans took over. He goes really in depth about that as well as the break in at 22 Romine Street in Las Vegas (Howards office) that might have actually prompted Watergate... Both are really good reads.

Last edited: