engine takes forever to turn over after engaging clutch

GoldenMotor.com

TNault

Feb 2, 2011
Florida
so i drop the clutch while rideing and it wont turn over till i do it a few times.. i can feel the clutch grabbing a little bit but not turning the engine over. i did everything i could with the flower nut and clutch plate.. its either to tight or to loose.. no inbetween. i dont know what else to do.. PLEASE HELP!!!!
:-||

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
When you're adjusting the flower nut, do it with the clutch handle locked and go one "petal" at a time and test it. As well, with the cable's tension make sure your the camshaft is perfectly flat against the bucking bar.

Also, rough up the clutch pucks under the plate with some sandpaper if they're glazed up and overly smoothed.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
That sounds like some good advice, dtg. I would like to add a few suggestions of my own. The age/mileage of the engine in question might be something to consider. I had the same problem with my first engine, and it turned out that the piston rings and crank bearings were shot. The engine was a year old, had very heavy mileage, and it also turned out I was using marine oil, which is very bad for air cooled engines. Hopefully its not a mechanical failure, but might not hurt to check it out. Also, perhaps the clutch pads are completely worn out. A new set only costs about $15, just make sure you get the right shape (round or square).

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
I am researching the direction of the clutch pads and I too have a bit harder time with a cold engine now after a dieseling event and discovering that there is a dead air flow in the V area on the Giant Boulder. I have to fix that.

So did I cook the rings already? Miles > 420 now

I'm considering options to redirect the air flow. Also which way do the pads go in the clutch? Rubber out or rubber in?
Mine came with rubber out and my friend always puts pads rubber in.