Engine doesnt reduce RPM's when I release Throttle

GoldenMotor.com

StrontiumEthics

Aug 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NYC
Hey guys, i'm having a little problem with my 80cc slant head. When I release the throttle the RPM's takes some time to go back down. It has to be a leak somewhere but im not sure. So far I checked the intake manifold and even switched carbs but still the same problem. Any idea's?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You might want to check the crankshaft seals on the left side behind magneto rotor and the small gear on the right side of your engine. If either one has failed it will allow air to enter.
The magneto side seems to be the most common one to fail. Often they are not pressed into the engine case properly and if not seated the rotor will rub it and/or knock it out completely.
A small dental type inspection mirror might provide you with a view of the seals without disassembling anything.

Tom

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
DITTO........... Tom

Another thing that can be done is while the engine is running spray WD-40 gently around the gasket area where the jug and case meet, if RPM's change are you see bubbles like air is getting out, you know you at least have one in that area.

Best wishes

Peace