Clutch Squealing!

GoldenMotor.com

speedster239

Nov 26, 2009
Torrance, CA
Howdy,
When the clutch on my good ole' china girl engine is engaged (ie the bike is under engine power fully) it has begun to make a nasty squealing sound that by all my instincts tells me the clutch is slipping. The problem, however, is that even after turning the butterfly nut to tighten the clutch it still makes the squealing noise.

Here's how it usually pans out. Upon engaging the clutch she immediately makes the squealing sound, and from that point on the sound continues throughout the ride. It doesn't seem to be effecting the performance much, but it is really loud and annoying. I'm wondering if the pads (pucks) have completely glazed over and no matter how much I tighten the assembly it is still going to slip.

If you think that's the case, where can I go to purchase the round version of the pads online? I've seen the square ones for sale, but I have the round ones and I can't seem to find them anywhere. This is, of course, if you think the problem is in the clutch pads.

Thanks,
Vaughan

EDIT:
Also, on a side note, do you have any ideas where I can purchase a larger sprocket than the standard 44 tooth one that comes with the kits.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Check your clutch actuator side. There is a rod and ball bearing there [don't looz the bearing] Put some axle grease on them.

speedster239

Nov 26, 2009
Torrance, CA
I did grease the actuator rod which the cable is physically hooked up to, and that little piece of metal sticking into the center of the drive sprocket. It did nothing :(. How do I get that ball out?

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc
Might also want to check the bearings and see if lubing them helps.

Does the squealing occure if you disengage the clutch at high speed? or if you rev the engine?

speedster239

Nov 26, 2009
Torrance, CA
The sound only occurs when the clutch is engaged, ie the bike is under full motor power. When disengaged I can rev the engine as high as I want, pedal and rev, whatever, it doesn't make the sound.

All the best,
Vaughan

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
you might have to loosen the flower nut.

what i would try is this:

disconnect your clutch cable from the engine completely.

remove the flower nut, pull the clutch plate and the spring off and check for any damage, oil, etc.

you can clean the pads with carb or brake cleaner, even scuff them up with a knife if you want.

then re-assemble it all, and screw in the flower nut till it just starts to grab the clutch. it's the spot where your back wheel won't roll free anymore. then go in another half turn on the flower nut.

now, re-connect your clutch cable and adjust it. it probably won't be tightened in the same spot as when you took it off.

make sure when you pull the lever the rear wheel spins completely free, and when you release it the wheel locks up.

you should be able to leave the flower nut alone and fine tune the clutch with the cable adjusters.

that should solve the squealing problem, and any slippage problems.

the reason for disconnecting the cable, is that if left on, it would affect the position of the flower nut, because the clutch is under tension. most people just go straight to the flower nut and don't see any results.

hope this helps.

(ps. it could also be as simple as worn out pads.:))

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc
I find 220 sandpaper is great at cleaning those 'red' pads, maybe even a higher grit.

Havent needed to clean my pads after going back to an older black pad clutch. :)