killswitch & clutch

GoldenMotor.com

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Try again w/the heat,and maybe dry ice on the shaft for awhile befor heating the ring and droping it on,ir measure w/inside and outside mic's and see if it is even reasonable too try with out machining the gear
I'm with him. It's probably time for a micrometer, if you have or can borrow one. I worry too about the temper of the metal, what with all the heating and no quenching. I don't know what the Rockwell rating on a Chinagurl cog would be. Norman might know the Rockwell (harharhar). But I think repeated heating and cooling might make a bad situation worse.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
So long as the gear does not reach the point of glowing orange or hotter the temper should not really be affected. FWIW, 400F is plenty hot enough to expand the gear and not affect the temper.
I also agree with the general consensus that something is waaay wrong here. The gear ID is just too small. If you install it by heating the gear that type of installation is called an interference fit. You will need to heat the gear again to remove it in the future. Not exactly an easy thing to deal with if the crankshaft seal needs replacement in the future. The gear is supposed to be easily removed with the kit supplied puller all by itself.
I recommend getting to the bottom of the problem and fixing it properly, not using band-aid procedures as a get around.

BikeGuyver

Jun 20, 2010
Sacramento, CA
So long as the gear does not reach the point of glowing orange or hotter the temper should not really be affected. FWIW, 400F is plenty hot enough to expand the gear and not affect the temper.
I also agree with the general consensus that something is waaay wrong here. The gear ID is just too small. If you install it by heating the gear that type of installation is called an interference fit. You will need to heat the gear again to remove it in the future. Not exactly an easy thing to deal with if the crankshaft seal needs replacement in the future. The gear is supposed to be easily removed with the kit supplied puller all by itself.
I recommend getting to the bottom of the problem and fixing it properly, not using band-aid procedures as a get around.
Well been riding it around for the last few days, no probs. It is a terrible fix, but seems to be holding ok :\ . . . Didn't have access to the torch anymore after that day, so I couldn't get it on any tighter, but used some sealant on the key and it's still in there. Tomorrow I leave for my 55-mile trip, wish me luck! Will try to break the engine in some more today..xx.