Bummed

GoldenMotor.com

RCinAL

Dec 27, 2009
Alabama
I guess I'll always be a lurker and a dreamer. I've wanted a MB for several years, but I live in Alabama and though I would happily do anything required of me to legally own and operate one, the backwards legislators here will never accept them under any circumstance. To make matters worse, I live smack in the heart of Huntsville and the many LEO's around here would rather get a MB off the streets than catch Bin Laden. There is just no way I, or anyone else, would be allowed to enjoy an MB in this city. You would think the powers-that-be would applaud a vehicle that weighs less than 100#, gets 100+ MPG, and only goes 25 MPH, but not here. Though I don't want one, even electric MB's are taboo here if a cop decides to mess with you about it, and sooner or later you can bet it will happen even on one of those.

Anyone else face the same archaic situation? And if so, how do you manage?

Ralph

omegaunderground

Sep 16, 2009
modesto
I thankfully have not faced such a situation as yours, but I feel for you man sorry to hear about that. I would (in your situation) make a propeller-bike, below is a video of a link to a guy on youtube who made one. If you put a decent shroud over the blades with a cage to keep it safe, it would really throw the LEO's a curve ball... Plus it looks pretty sweet. haha

YouTube - Bicycle with weed wacker engine and propeller

RCinAL

Dec 27, 2009
Alabama
I have a 650CC dual sport motorcycle for long distance excursions. I just wanted a MB for getting around in the neighborhoods cheaply. I can go for 5 miles in any direction - over 20 miles in one direction - and never see a speed limit over 25 except to cross a few 4-lane roads. Plus I like the idea of undertaking a project; building it myself and tayloring it to my specifications. I don't like the expense, styling, or handling of the current crop of street legal, 50cc scooters either. I like my 2-wheelers to have tall wheels.

As far as E-bike are concerned, I have a heart condition and shouldn't be pedalling up the many hills in the area. I need the extra power and range of gas. And although E-bikes are stealthier and MIGHT go unnoticed, there is no guarranty. Our state law says ANY motor-assited bike - gas or electric - must be registered, but then they flat refuse to do it. Huntsville ordinances are even more restrictive and a virtual army of traffic cops see to it. 50 might pass you by without a glance, but sooner or later a bored one will question you. That would be the end because the next time you pass him a citation would be certain. Plus, a powerful enough E-bike with good range is BRUTALLY expensive.

It is all enough to prevent my investment in MB's at the moment. Until some laws are changed I'll just have to admire the MB's of others on the internet.

Cheers,

Ralph