slow compuer? argh

GoldenMotor.com

the new ausped

Feb 10, 2010
australia
it has 2 gig of ram a 3.4ghz prosessor 40gig hardrive huge cache win xp taken all he stuff offov startup through msconfig done all the basics and im stuck at this point im using my spare mini laptop with a 7" screen coz th other on is being a homo.....fml

help?

TheE

Jun 26, 2009
Canada
Run a malware scan first. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is good, but a linux-based solution like the Trinity Rescue Kit is better, albeit harder to use.

I once saw a PC which took about 45 minutes just to load up, turns out it had a defective HDD...after replacing it, it was in Windows before the screen was able to come on =p Might be worth running Scandisk to check for bad blocks if a malware scan comes up clean. That's another reason I prefer using Linux- it isolates hardware issues.

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
Try Ccleaner, its purdy good and free. If nothing else helps just do a format. If you still are in trouble then you have some kind of hardware breakdown.

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
I would agree if you can't find an infection may be time for a format. Windows XP also has core kernal issues esp if it has a ton of software added to it then taken away. Back up your data and Format. That should solve the issue.

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
an XP installation usually only lasts a year or 2 at most b4 performance issues arise. sometimes due to registry issues that can be corrected ( if you kno how ) or malware.. easy to see malware if it's running.. just check prosesses and look for anything that is suspicious, don't kill it tho, research it

golfer

Jan 17, 2010
illinois
If its not a virus, defrag you drive, which you should do every month anyway. But if you cant stand it, and you dont have much saved data, format your drive and reinstall the operating system. And if it is a maliculous backround proccess do what MATT167 says. If you have vista, the you can kill any processes that dont say SYSTEM next to it.

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
this sounds dumb , but , if you watch lots of streaming video like i do , you really notice it .

delete all your browser history , ( if you have google toolbar installed , delete browser history from the google toolbar , it seems on my computer it is seperate from the windows browser history ) make sure to TURN OFF ( save favourite website data )

go into the google toolbar settings and turn off all of the stuff you don,t want on
( which is almost everything ) it will be obvious .

then defragment the disk .

reboot your computer .

if that doesn,t help , recover your computer to a previous date when you know it was working good .

my general rules of thumb :
on any website that wants to install something to run something = NO
automatic windows update = bad ( better to select the updates yourself )
if your pc starts acting wierd when you are on it = hold down the power button till it shuts off ( don,t do a windows shutdown , it will save whatever is affecting your pc )

i,m far from a computer geek , but it seems to work for me

Attachments

Last edited: