removing handle bar grips

GoldenMotor.com

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
this used to be a bear of a task for me. you either had to cut them or rip them off. their is a quick and easy way to replace them. take your air compresor with a blowing tool and just lift a part of the end of the grip and give it a blast of air and they slide or pop right off. same as putting new ones on. give it some air and they slip right on. a small tip but a great one

ChrisHill

Manufacturer/Dealer
Not all of us have air compressors, but those that do will enjoy Cruiser's tip.

Here's a good one for those that don't...
To slide new grips on your bars...take a drop of dishsoap on your finger and smear it around the inside of the grip. The grip will slide up on the bar without a hassle, and the soap will dry up and help to stick it there.

Just so everyone knows...the stock grips from your bike, or a fancy pair of store bought grips can be used to replace the stock grips that come with the majority of bicycle engine kits (mine included). Just work the original off and use my above tip to slide the new grip on...it may be tight, but that is a good thing.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
Not all of us have air compressors, but those that do will enjoy Cruiser's tip.

Here's a good one for those that don't...
To slide new grips on your bars...take a drop of dishsoap on your finger and smear it around the inside of the grip. The grip will slide up on the bar without a hassle, and the soap will dry up and help to stick it there.

Just so everyone knows...the stock grips from your bike, or a fancy pair of store bought grips can be used to replace the stock grips that come with the majority of bicycle engine kits (mine included). Just work the original off and use my above tip to slide the new grip on...it may be tight, but that is a good thing.
wow1 you mean you can slip them over the throttle grip. i have some really nice grips in my drawer of goodies and never tried but i sure am in the morning. thanks for the great tip chris

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
"Airless" removal

Hi if you don't have air, slide a dull butter knife, spoke or whatever under the grip, spray in windex, repeat till you can slide off that grip. I have done this many times. Old crappy grips I don't care about are slit with razor-knife.

Mike

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
One more tip-

To remove the old ones, heat is our friend....boiling water poured (carefully) on them, or better yet, use a heat gun or hairdryer.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
cool thanks dan. i am going to head to the motorcycle shop and look at grips and some mirrors. planing on replacing my throttle i have a cheap plastic on and the better ones you can put your own grips on. will let you all know what i come up with

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I use plain water sprayed in between the grip and bars while pryed open with a small flat bladed screw driver to remove the grips and like one of the guys said if your not going to reuse cut them off. Once I've sprayed in the water I twist the blade around the grip to let the water get all the way around and it will come right off.
I like the foam grips soft and they absorb the vibes cheap to get a couple sets for about $5.00 includes shipping on flea bay. to install spray a little water inside the grip and push it on They come with end plugs and I use a bar end mounted mirror on the left side that's really for the right side its on upside down but out of my way and easy to see behind me its also convex anyway it works for me. If you run into trouble with the grip on the throttle side I've used weatherstrip glue or quick set JB-weld to hold the grip in place being careful not to glue the grip to where it fowls up the throttle. There's some of my ideas and I'm sure there's plenty more so chime in and lets share the knowledge.
Norman

solokumba

Nov 24, 2010
Florida
To remove: Slide butter knife and add a dab of 3in1 oil in the 2, 6 and 10 spot.
Slides right off.
To add: BABY POWDER!!!!!!

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
For installing or removing hand grips, alcohol works best.

To install a grip, pour a small amount of alcohol into the grip. Swish it around a little bit and quickly slid the grip on the handle bar. The alcohol will quickly evaporate leaving the grip firmly in place.

To remove a grip, pour 4 oz's of vodka, shaken not stirred into a wide glass. Add 2 drops of vermouth, with 1 green olive. Drink the whole glass down in one gulp taking care not to choke on the olive, and then quickly rip the grip off with your bare hands. In case of failure on the first try, repeat this procedure as many times a necessary to either achieve success, or till losing interest in getting the grip off.

cigron

Nov 18, 2009
wormleysburg pa
My method not as good as biknut`s.But it work`s for me.
Take A ice pick or something thin and slide it under
The grip.Then squirt some wd 40.when you put it back on
Let it set over night the wd 40 will act like glue.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
lol biknut, yea cigron I use the wd-40 trick, I just jam a small allen key under the grip as far as it'll go(hammer if necessary), then slide the red nozzle in beside it and give'r a squirt. Work it back an forth a lil bit and it'll come right off. For putting back on, like cigron said, the evaporated wd-40 will hold it good.

haha solokumba, I just noticed the date on the original thread: 12-24-2007
Should rename thread to: "Evolution of grip removal" :D

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i just wait till they fall off on their own.:)

the absolute best method for putting new grips on and keeping them on, is clear spray paint. spray it in the grip, slide it on, and 10 minutes later, it'll never come off until it wears off.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I saw, a few entries back, a method similar to mine. Here's an almost effortless way, for those who don't have compressors and don't feel like exerting themselves, and may have a really stubborn grip: use rubberbands to strap a gel freezerpack or two onto the handlebar. Then go get your wife's hairdryer (she never reads this site, so I'm okay) and heat up JUST the grip. After a little while you can just slide it off. No hammering or sweat or anything. But be prepared to explain where you're going with the hairdryer.