Starting to look like something

GoldenMotor.com

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
One thing I didn't realize when starting this project is that it would never actually be finished. I spent the last couple weekends working on a few details and I think now I might actually be getting close to being done.

Air filter: I went candle shopping with my wife and spotted a candle with a brass cover that turned out to be the perfect size for a four-inch air filter!
Stand: My old one wasn't very will designed. The smallest unevenness allowed it to rock/tip. This one is significantly wider and more stable.
Muffler: The old straight pipe was made when the bike was supposed to be a board track racer. I couldn't stop thinking an original looking muffler would look a lot better. The downside is this thing actually lives up to its name: it muffles a little more than I might like.
muffler air filter stand.jpg

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Wret I've greatly admired your bike from the start yet each change has definitely altered the bikes personality & reflects your own. Though I liked the red & shiny black along with the highly polished stainless tank they seemed a bit out of place, especially as you changed from board track style to period road cruiser. I'm thinking the patina on the tank & motor are really looking authentic, the solid brown rust on the engine wasn't very convincing. I actually like leaving some shiny on tins, fenders wheels and the same with aluminum and chrome accents etc.

I really can't complement this build enough & as for it's being about finished....I'd say not until you lose interest or sell it. One of the positives of only building one of these bikes is that you can concentrate on getting it absolutely correct for yourself rather than spread yourself thin working on multiple projects that also, in my experience, never get finished...kudo's! Rick C.

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
Yeah, it took a few tries (and about a dozen cans of different color paint) but I think I've finally got the rusty iron look down. Repainting over and and over helps add texture too.

Here's a better shot of the muffler. Fortunately I found a way to keep most of the horrifying welds on the inside. ;) I was going to paint it black but I'll enjoy the shiny stainless for a while and see if it grows on me.

Also forgot to mention, for anyone wanting to copy the configuration and look of the original Indian handlebar stem, an old Raleigh stem with seat clamp underneath does the trick.
stem.jpg
muffler air filter stand2.jpg

Reactions: PeteMcP

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
Laconia Bike Week!

I was due for a New England trip so I convinced my wife that we should stop in at Laconia. I've never been to bike week there (or anywhere) so I didn't fully know what to expect. We had a blast! We stayed at a B&B a few miles out of town and had a nice scenic ride in. The bike performed beautifully and was a real show stopper. Lot's of people stared in amazement, a few scoffed when they recognized it for what it was but still stopped to look it over. The really funny times were when an "expert" would emerge and start explaining to others how you could tell which parts were original, how old, etc. We had a really great time and my wife already told me we are going again next year!

I invested in a hitch carrier for the bike. Very economical and easy to use. Much easier for parking and I probably made my money back in toll savings. Highly recommended.
IMG-20180619-WA0004.jpg

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Cool Wret! Bikes looking great! Give us a shot of your hitch carrier when you have a mo. Class 3? I've wondered about those but all the HD bicycle ones I doubted would hold up to the weight of our rides.

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
I bought this one from Amazon at the unbelievably low price of $78 but I see its at $90 now.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018SCMIR4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Rated for 500 lb but my bike probably weighs 2 hundred something and I don't think I'd want to load too much more on it. Fits any 2-inch receiver. MUCH easier than a trailer. I guess the only down side was I didn't feel like I could cover the bike because the brake lights need to shine through the wheels and I got hit by torrential downpour on the way south.

Reactions: Velodrome

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
The bike looks great. Wonderful care and attention to the build.
Always loved the types that look at the bike and dismiss it then spend 20 minutes looking it over in great detail and the "Experts" who seem to travel with a pack of admirers and immediately begin to explain your bike to them with a stunning lack of knowledge about it.

Lived in Concord N.H for years and bike week was the major event of the year. It was fun to watch the old track after it was bought by new owners and changed into a more modern era. No more bike clubs at the back of the track partying.

Glad you enjoyed the visit.

Steve.

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
Actually Steve I lived in and around Manchester for about 20 years but never went to bike week for lack of a bike (and interest). Probably just as well. From what I understand 20-30 years ago things could get a little rough.

Reactions: fasteddy

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
Improvised Throttle Cable End Idea

Our vacation included several stops around New England. After a ride around Bar Harbor and dinner at Cherrystones, and in front of a crowd of onlookers, I started the engine and when I gave it throttle... nothing. I quickly realized that the end I had soldered on the carburetor end must have pulled off. I was able to crank up the idle on the carb and limp back to the B&B but the dilemma kept me awake for a while. I had only a few tools and no saws, files, or soldering equipment.

At about 2 in the morning I came up with a solution that actually worked better than I expected. After breakfast we walked a couple blocks to a hardware store and bought a few inches of thermostat wire (solid copper/18 ga) and a tube of electronic, flux core solder. I stripped a single wire, wrapped it tightly around the cable end, and cut the wire to form a tiny coil at the very end of the cable. Heated the coil with a lighter and fed in solder until it was saturated. The repair seemed very strong and worked perfectly. I will probably use this technique from now on.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Solution at 2 in the morn, been there many a times. Sounds good will have to keep that in mind, that would reinforce it and be strong. Like that fix............Curt

Mossy

May 20, 2022
I was looking at this... A few days ago... Great build! I just don't think I'm going to go that route... Too motorcycle for me... I like the 1/4" plates on the rear drop out... Lot of other things...
And because everyone is an assumed liar lately I put my Tuesday screenshots up...

Attachments