Best bike to start with?

GoldenMotor.com

cdlale

Jun 17, 2008
Hello All,
Does anyone have the dimensions for the 50cc two stoke motor? I want to one on a Trek 4500 frame.
Thanks
cdlale

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Just thought I'd throw this out there...be careful of the Walmart bikes. I've recently realized this while working on my wife's NeXT mountain bike. I don't know about the moondog, but here's what I noticed on this one:

the derailluers were put on all crooked and not adjusted properly - if you get a preassembled bike from wally world, definitely give it a once- (or 5-times-) over.

The brakes....suck. I don't know what the design is actually called, but it's where the cable just splits into two and goes to each of the pads...yeah, they don't work worth anything. Plus, the brake levers are plastic and flimsy. I feel like if I was on it and had to stop suddenly, they'd snap right off. The bike doesn't _stop_ it just kind of slows down.

All the while I'm comparing this to my $350 mountain bike with Shimano components...you definitely get what you pay for I think.

Just something to think about...

starrunner

May 12, 2008
vintageboatplans.com
Yes, the Next brand is the cheapest bike out there. I've seen them for around $40-$50 on clearance there. If a guy wants to just throw together a motorized bike and just hot rod it, maybe that's the way to go, but for long term dependability, you do get what you pay for.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
I Have Not Purchased A Bike Yet, Waiting For My Motor From Vizan Motors . Pd $202 On 6/6/08 It Has Not Shipped Yet. I THINK THEY TOOK ME. I ORDERED A MOTOR FROM ANOTHER SOURCE YESTERDAY I Was Thinking Coaster Brake To Keep It Simple, Friction DrIVE . Is 415 Chain Stronger , Would It Fit Sprockets ?? I Am Also Happy To Find The Forum. Have Learned A Lot From All The Posts . They Say A Wiseman Learns From Other Peoples Mistakes, A Fool Learns By His Own. :confused: When We Had An Unknown Noise In A Race Engine, Hold The Peddle To The Metal, The First Piece To Fly Out = That Was The Problem..:ride2: I HAD A JOB AS A LIFE GUARD TILL SOME BLUE KID GOT ME FIRED ! (LARRY CABLE GUY )

protow

Jun 25, 2008
Seattle,W
www.ramlyn.com
Coaster brake are a pain in the butt to install but...

I like them because I can apply it with with my foot instead of having more levers up front. If you buy a cheap cruiser, I would take off the front fender and put on a second hand brake immediately. It is an inexpensive addition but nice to have for better control and for the inevitable bike chain break at the worst possible moment. A coaster brake and a front hand brake is ideal in my opinion, which is worth less than some of the others here.

As for kits, I have the boy go fast kit from ebay. If you assemble it correctly it seems to be fine. I assembled mine wrong and it was a mess. Go slow in your assembly and consult this forum for instructions. If you have questions ask here. The people on this forum will actually answer technical questions and be happy to do so. You might even get a laugh or two along the way.

As for the additional work for the coaster brake, it amounts to enlarging the hole in the new rear sprocket. I drew a circle around the hole about a quarter inch thick. Then I went to home depot and bought a metal rasp for my drill. I sat down and enlarged the hole without any fancy tools or expertise. It isn't perfectly round but it doesn't have to be. It just has to be more or less centered so that the sprocket can be centered on the rear wheel. YOu also have to bend the coaster brake arm enough to clear the bolts again not a big deal if you have access to a vise. I didn't so I bent mine with a sledge hammer and a big pipe for an anvil.

One thing to remember when you get frustrated is that even I could do it, so you can do it to.

Do not believe that you can install this kit in four hours, that is someone's marketing tool, but it is well worth the time and effort to see the look an people's faces when you cruise by them. Not to mention just shear fun of a slower paced world you actually feel part of again. You aren't insulated in a rolling bubble on these bikes you are part of the enviornment as you tool along.

One more thing on the bike, oversized tubes look stronger but they are harder to fit the engine to. A nice standard sized tube is best. Get a bike with the standard 'slice of pie opening' in front of the seat down tube, if possible for ease of fitting. 26" is better all the way around. Though my first install was into 24". the bike looked great because the complete opening was full of engine. It looked more like a mini motorcycle but alas it I looked like a clown on it lol. Not only that it wasn't as stable as the larger bike.

Welcome to our world..

Oh if you are handy with tools look at the bike thrift shop and you can build a custom bike for peanuts. In my opinion its a lot more fun but also a lot more work.

My transylvainia chopper built form several junk shop bikes. parts cost probably under fifty bucks with lots of parts left on the curb for other builders to pick up.
[/URL][/IMG]

thanks for this post..... i just bought a boys go fast motor with the big tube frame adaptar. wooohoooo.... this is going t save me about $300 if gas a month. lol you guys and gals rock on this site i have learned ALOT just in a few hours of joining

galapoola

Jun 26, 2008
Anyone build one like this? I'm looking at a 48cc Chinese 2 stroke on a stretch beach cruiser. I'm wondering about the clearance in frame and the dangle of the exhaust.

misterfixit

Jun 29, 2008
Great site!!!!! I have been thinking about this for a long time. Just found this site and it is great. How about a Sun Cruiser built by Top Ten? It was bought new about 20 years ago at Phils Ace Hardware. Still a China bike though! Thanx misterfixit

brobie

Aug 15, 2008
I am completely new to motorized biking, and have a couple of questions. I understand that it is recommended to install a front brake on a coaster brake bike, but I don't have a clue how to figure out what to buy or how to install it. My second question involves tires. I will be riding on some gravel until I can get to the paved part of the road. Should I be looking to replace the cruiser tires that come with the bike for a different type? Thank you for any suggestions

OSCAR383

Jul 22, 2008
WEST FRANKFORT, IL
I am completely new to motorized biking, and have a couple of questions. I understand that it is recommended to install a front brake on a coaster brake bike, but I don't have a clue how to figure out what to buy or how to install it. My second question involves tires. I will be riding on some gravel until I can get to the paved part of the road. Should I be looking to replace the cruiser tires that come with the bike for a different type? Thank you for any suggestions
i think the tires should be fine if you put nobby tires on its make the ride unplesant once on the paved road. you will need a brake handle right side cuz your clutch will be on the left. a cable and a front caliper , my bike shop usually has them on the brake post ready to instal . in a bag waiting for you to grab off the shelf . simply slid brake post thru hole in front fork (if caliper type very common) tighten down nuts on back side and move brake pads where the line up with the rim and adjust cable length so that the pads almost touch the rim but dont. that way when you start to pull leaver they make contact and if yousqueeze hard ,like say the instance arrises that you need a front brake like everyone here recomendes, its will be all stopping power.;) hope i didnt ramble to much

you can see the caliper on my bike in between the springer bars.
or if you want to spend a little money to ensure you safety you can find a front fork with a disc brake caliper usually meens a new front wheel as well . but all that money you save on gas has to go somewhere doesnt it.

brobie

Aug 15, 2008
Thank you, Oscar. Your directions and picture are very helpful. Another question has arisen. Can grease fittings be put in on a coaster hub? If so, would it just be a matter of drilling a hole and inserting the fitting?I am concerned about having to have to keep taking everything a part to regrease the bearings. I get the impression that it needs to be done pretty often. Thank you.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Thank you, Oscar. Your directions and picture are very helpful. Another question has arisen. Can grease fittings be put in on a coaster hub? If so, would it just be a matter of drilling a hole and inserting the fitting?I am concerned about having to have to keep taking everything a part to regrease the bearings. I get the impression that it needs to be done pretty often. Thank you.
I do not see why not....I have these wheel with a grease fitting. Don't know if it came that way or someone added it.

junkyard

Jan 6, 2009
st.petersburg fla
That almost identical to my bike. To be honest, I like the bike but I wouldn't recommend it for a couple of reasons. It only has a coaster brake and I've snapped the chain twice. Plus the rear hub always comes loose.
From all the close calls I've had in the past, I Highly recommend any bike with a front brake.

i just got one of these bikes for $30 at the thrift store so im gunna use it for my first build

i see the square stock you used for the front mount....was that cuz of the cranks and sprocket or the muffler mount......it looks like it could slide down and mount right onto the bottom tube

also how did you get around the plate welded into the frame at the head tube when mounting the tank......it looks like just washers wide enuff to grab the top bar

thx for posting the pic

Last edited:

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
HI JUNKYARD, HE HAS THAT AWSUM MORINI ON IT NOW. HAVE YOU SEEN THE VID OF HIM RACING IN THE PARKING LOT?? I THOUGHT THE MORINI WAS A BIGGER ENGINE, BUT READ RECENTLY THAT IT IS 49CC. I WAS WAITING FOR EASY RIDER TO PUT A SHIFT KIT ON IT, BUT I GUESS IT IS NOT NEEDED. RON.flg..duh..xx.

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
Just thought I'd throw this out there...be careful of the Walmart bikes. I've recently realized this while working on my wife's NeXT mountain bike. I don't know about the moondog, but here's what I noticed on this one:

the derailluers were put on all crooked and not adjusted properly - if you get a preassembled bike from wally world, definitely give it a once- (or 5-times-) over.

The brakes....suck. I don't know what the design is actually called, but it's where the cable just splits into two and goes to each of the pads...yeah, they don't work worth anything. Plus, the brake levers are plastic and flimsy. I feel like if I was on it and had to stop suddenly, they'd snap right off. The bike doesn't _stop_ it just kind of slows down.

All the while I'm comparing this to my $350 mountain bike with Shimano components...you definitely get what you pay for I think.

Just something to think about...
Your wife has/had cantilever brakes. They are reliable, but not too strong. They won't stop you in an emergency, but they'll help you avoid moving violations. You can get tickets on bicycles for running stop signs and lights you know. Plastic brake levers are by far the worst. Buy new ones asap.

The derailleurs are only sometimes put on right. Kent is one manufacturer that designs their bikes around the average wally world assembler. The derailleur mount is screwed on, and the angle is held by the axle, as on several other Walmart bikes. However, it is easy to cross thread the actual bolt that attaches the derailleur. These Walmart assemblers don't always get that right.

One other thing to check with all Walmart bikes is whether or not the bearings are properly greased, or cracked. I had a couple cracked bearings in my Kent bike, and within a few weeks, they broke completely.

So, all in all, I agree with Jason. Be careful with wally world, their bikes are very hastily assembled, and they will need a good preliminary look over. One other thing, the stem will sometimes be loose or crooked. Check to make sure it's not.