54 Schwinn 24'' DX My Next Race Bike

GoldenMotor.com

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Hey ccc. It's a 4MIX STihl. Dry sump pushrod motor with their unique oiling system. That's right, a four stroke that uses mixed fuel. Lots of torque and runs great. Headless top end, plastic one-lobe cam and adjustable rockers.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I had to make a special front sprocket, spaced out a little to line up with the wider rear moped brake hub freewheel. Sprockets came from an old 12 speed with a one piece pedal crank, and the hardware and spacers came from McMasterCarr. I used stainless button head bolts with nylock jamb nuts and plated steel spacers. After drilling the rivets out of the sprocket set, I used the center of one and the outer ring of another. I shortened the kickstand today but still too long. I'll try again tomorrow.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Thanks ccc. I just hope the little motor will pull the Comet. If not, I'll make a regular jackshaft and save the torque-a-verter for a larger engine.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I got my clamps made and on the bike. They will hold the motor by sandwiching it between two plates of aluminum that will be carved out according to the shape of the engine and bolted to the clamps.

Also worked on the gas tank clamps. Almost rteady to mount it to the frame.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
My computor is down for another week, so I'll try to post some photos using my wife's laptop.

I finally finished the motor mounts and put them on the bike with the engine attached.

Still have to install the carb and make an exhaust pipe.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
That is crazy...I need to know if you designed and machined those because if you have that kind of ability we need to know. That looks so nice...tell us how you came up with that design.

CCC

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I bought some 24'' Kiniptions

Im real close to a test ride.

I'm going to need a shield to keep my leg out of the driven pulley.

Been watching Scotto and Jeff's race bikes. Very impressive.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Thanks, ccc. Yes, It was a brainstorm I had because I needed a creative way to attach the motor sturdy enough to support the drive system. I hand cut and filed a lot of it and had a buddy with a mill rough out some more so I could hand finish them. A lot of work but achieved the look I was after.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Back in the 70's When I was building a three wheel chopper, I saw a Harley motor sandwiched between two plates and always wanted to do something similar. Finally got the chance.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Hey Dale, I'd like mine with roast beef, avocado and provalone.....hold the mayo! Nice work indeed, very creative and sano!

dnut

Back in the 70's When I was building a three wheel chopper, I saw a Harley motor sandwiched between two plates and always wanted to do something similar. Finally got the chance.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
That's one of the best (& craziest) motor mounts I've seen in a long time!!! Great job!! (^)

I'm not critisizing, but I can totally picture that bike with a custom 'in frame' tank! ;)

Anyone who knows me will tell you that I'm all about the 24" Schwinns right now!! (^)

BADBOOH

Apr 3, 2010
San Diego CA,
I have to agree with every one where, the work you are doing on that bike is awsome! Very creative and detail orianted. Can't wait to see the finished product. I think I might have to drive up to the October race just to see the new crop of freashly designed race bikes scream.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Wow Msrfan that is really looking good! I love the uni-body structure achieved with the engine mount , j shaft set up. That thing looks very strong!(^)

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
That's one of the best (& craziest) motor mounts I've seen in a long time!!! Great job!! (^)

I'm not critisizing, but I can totally picture that bike with a custom 'in frame' tank! ;)

Anyone who knows me will tell you that I'm all about the 24" Schwinns right now!! (^)
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I see a custom tank in my future. Thanks.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I have to agree with every one where, the work you are doing on that bike is awsome! Very creative and detail orianted. Can't wait to see the finished product. I think I might have to drive up to the October race just to see the new crop of freashly designed race bikes scream.
Thanks badbooh, there will be a lot of innovative bikes at the race.