Im Going Legal in PA

GoldenMotor.com

yodabob

Jun 29, 2008
North Wales PA
So Scribbles are you saying they told you can just ride the bike with out registering it? For that is not what I’ve gone through. I also went to the state police, DMV and everyone else that you can think of. Finally got my bike pasted at an enhanced inspection station and all papers and photos finished. It is all pending in Harrisburg right now.

scribbles

Jul 4, 2008
let me know how it goes with that DOT approval crapola... also let me know if the pass it and if you can the number of the guy who inspected your bike i would like to ask him some questions about the inspection.

kengorman

Jul 9, 2008
So Scribbles are you saying they told you can just ride the bike with out registering it? For that is not what I’ve gone through. I also went to the state police, DMV and everyone else that you can think of. Finally got my bike pasted at an enhanced inspection station and all papers and photos finished. It is all pending in Harrisburg right now.
Hi,

Can you post what you had to go through? I understand that in order to be registered in PA, it must be titled. In order to get titled, it needs a VIN. Since this is a bicylce, how did you get a VIN and how did you get a title? What forms were required to be filled out?

What paperwork had to be submitted to Harrisburg?

Thanks,

Ken

sinisterporpoise

Aug 2, 2008
The fact sheet says something about motorized pedal cycles, but I don't really see any definition. All I can say is what I have does *not* fit the state's definition of a moped.

kengorman

Jul 9, 2008
The fact sheet says something about motorized pedal cycles, but I don't really see any definition. All I can say is what I have does *not* fit the state's definition of a moped.
My understanding is the term MOPED is an abbreviation for a MOtorized PEDalcycle

From the PA Fact-Sheet
MOPED
DEFINITION: A motor-driven cycle equipped with operable pedals, a motor rated no more than 1.5 brake horsepower, a cylinder capacity not exceeding 50 cubic centimeters, an automatic transmission, and a maximum design speed of no more than 25 miles per hour, or an electric motor-driven cycle equipped with operable pedals and powered by an electric battery.

Link here.

Motorized pedalcycles are differentiated from other types of motorized devices. Devices without pedals generally can't be registered, titled, insured, etc. and can only be driven on private property.

Pennsylvania is very clear on that. Here is a link to regulations governing motorized scooters.

Regards,

Ken

sinisterporpoise

Aug 2, 2008
I think we ought to petition Pennsylvania to change mopeds to not be required to be titled. They can keep the requirements for insurance and registration, but given that many small towns in Pennsylvania do not have adequate transportation, the motorized bicycles, or mopeds as the state calls them could be a source of potential revenue for licensing and they could make it easier on all of us by not having ridiculous requirements.

So, who's for writing their state representative? (Although an answer I got from a state trooper said they were legal. There seems to be some confusion on this point.)

scribbles

Jul 4, 2008
nice bike man make sure you let us know if you get it i stop trying when i got to school but i would still love to get a plate... could you maybe give me a step by step of your progress so far...

whodathunkit

Nov 1, 2008
Lansdale, PA
Yodabob,

Any update on the registration? BTW, how much did you pay for the enhanced inspection?

Scribbles,

Any update on your path, without registration?

yodabob

Jun 29, 2008
North Wales PA
The enhanced inspection cost $260.00. The notary and state paper work is $60.00 so far. Just got back a preliminary rejection the other day. Must submit something from engine manufacture as to the speed the vehicle will go with the engine. Which makes no sense since it is all determined by the gearing. Also they what a details on how it was built. I've come this far, so I’m not done yet. I’ll keep everyone up dated.

scribbles

Jul 4, 2008
my update on the other hand is a cheaper and easier way to go legal... i became friends with the police on my college campus and i keep a bill from 1979 that says motorized bikes under 50cc are legal... its been a year so far with no trouble so im game with that... :ride:

beast775

Aug 24, 2008
victoria bc canada
goin legal eh!what a mess that can be,i had a **** of a time with dmv,i spent almost a year ..the inspecting mech said my tires were safer than most vehicle tires,70 bucks a piece total,no dot though.i got a v.i.n insurance and inspection in i think august 08?lots of work,i did lighting on battery only,and learnt a whole bunch.lots of wiring relays led boards.but i can get 2 weeks on 1.6 volts,it starts at 13.6 and after daily driving 4 hrs usually with extremely bright lights 2 weeks later 12.0.i think i did all this for 1 reason,to be seen.ive almost been crushed 2 many times.plus if someone hits me i will get full coverage.heres my beast ....

Attachments

Rnroutlaw

Nov 15, 2008
Norwalk,Ohio
Hey all, anyone from ohio having problems with police about riding. I am in the process of putting my motor on and I am a bit uneasy about getting pulled over. I thought it was going to be just a bicycle with a motor on it. I am not sure if it's against the law or anything. Can't I just kill the engine if I see a cop? As long as Im peddling I should be ok then right? I am confused and now wondering if I should be doing this at all. All these youtube videos I have seen people are riding everywhere and having fun without any problems. Thats all I want!

Motormac

Sep 23, 2008
Ontario Canada
Rnroutlaw, just try to stick to side roads and make sure you have mirrors to see behind you and scan way ahead.wear a helmet,cops like to see that, If you see a cop just switch off the motor and start pedaling.99.9% of th time the cop wont even look at you, you will get away with this for months and maybe years. If a cop does stop you then see what happens then and dont worry about till it happens. just enjoy your bike.

lostanddontcare

Nov 16, 2008
lake city pa
some the people in dmv need understand the diffrance of motorbike andmotorcycle.i bought wildfire with vin and title. ok works with me!had vin ck ok 1letter off mc not mb soo.i am tierd with dmv people .sooo.i have plates [motorcycle] now when title comes back iwill cheif police sign papers its mb not mc alot bull $$$$ but it work this way!i want ride spring i have a48.9ccmotor[wink]first motor died of work i figer 3000 miles just summer .jule to nov. beenfrom home to pitt harrisburgh to scranton man i had times iam 59 going 20 next spring look for me happy fun

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Hi All, My Biggest Worry Is To Get Ran Over By A Fat Lady In A Cadilac!! Many Years Ago On Candid Camera Or Some Tv Show, This Guy Rode His Bicycle Sitting On The Seat Backwards, He Had Rear View Mirrors On His Glasses. He Rode A Lot, He Was Very Good At It. They Called Him "wrong Way Wooten". That Was Maybe Safer!!

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
I Asked A Deputy Sheriff If He Bothered The Motorized Bicyles, He Said No, Has Other Things To Do! I Have Done Work For Him And His Father. He Has A Show Quality 55 Chev With Big Block. He Has Another 55 2 Dr Sedan He Started But Is Going To Sell.