Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle Tavern > Laws and Legislation for Motorized Bicycles

Laws and Legislation for Motorized Bicycles Share you knowledge of the laws in your state in this forum. Remember to always verify everything yourself with your dmv

Old 04-25-2017, 01:52 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: The police struck again and went full retard, just not to me.

Here in Nevada, you need a class M license to drive anything over 49cc, which requires a class C, or your common license. However, over 49ccs, you must have the proper required safety equipment, including rearview mirrors, headlights, and taillights. Braking and turning may be signaled by hand. I was pulled over by a cop, asked how big the engine was, and I don't lie when asked, so I said 66cc. He said, "Well that's cool. Just go get it registered as soon as you can. It's a motor vehicle, regardless of what the engine is on." Pretty cool experience in my book. He also asked what my fuel economy was and how fast I could go, which was, at the time, 33mph and 100mpg. He also commented on how much of a genius I had to be to do something like this, and I'm just like ... what? Anybody can do this. It's bolt on easy.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:19 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: The police struck again and went full retard, just not to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXNightRiderXx View Post
Here in Nevada, you need a class M license to drive anything over 49cc.
(Cop) also commented on how much of a genius I had to be to do something like this, and I'm just like ... what? Anybody can do this. It's bolt on easy.
Cool story ;-}

AZ is 48cc @20mph, with 49cc in NV these 4-stroke shifters are legal there!

It's not like any DA here in Phoenix would bring charges for being 1cc over the limit, but legal for you with little hassle other than they can go 40+mph.