choppin n weld'n another 'junk yard' frame

GoldenMotor.com
Jan 17, 2015
ca.
On my 3hp crank I had to cut off the end so the pull start would work. The 3.5 dont use the old flywheel screw on thing-a-ma-bob. just a nut. I'm gonna just use the engine to mock up my drive while I swap meet for a 4hp. Getting the brakes worked out. A before and after pic of how I will finish the look.

Attachments

Last edited:

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Get well soon! If possible think how to avoid what causes the strain and find a different way in the future.

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
I hope to ,thx MT. There's a bit of ole Arthur Rightust mixed in too. I'll see if I can get the seat stuff together sit in bed and do it up. I'll be watchin

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
One think my dad always said work at the right height. He was meaning use a table or bench to put what your working on and not bend down. The motor bike I will have to do some welding on for the new foot pegs I have.

It is necessary to remove the gas tank, carb (engine also), and wheels to not burn them during the welding. So anyway then it is light (not super light) enough so though that I can put it up on a work bench to work on it.

I though am guilty of not using the bench enough, since not everything requires removal of enough components that I can lift it. Currently at 130 lbs and probably will be adding 7 more with the brackets.

A way I found I could make the angles for welding metal parts stay in position, I just took some thin flexible steel sheet and welded it to the two thicker metal parts to be joined.

Then I went back to my bike and kept bending the joint made of the flexible metal till it was true with level and t-square. Simply carry it over to a vise clamped to a bench top and weld it just a bit.

Go back and check. If not correct, then break small weld and bend flexible metal for another attempt. Then when right fully weld up and grind away the thin metal and who know to the wiser that it was even ever there in the first place.

Attachments

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Nice pegs.should not slip off those. I took my 6'x2' flatbed trailer I made and converted it to a work table. Does nicely. I have to pop the front wheel up, then lift the back up.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I did not go for looks on doing up a seat I made. Heck load of yellow tape holding the foam. I also need time and eventually will put a more permanent nice cover.
Painting the frame also waiting for dry weather so I have time long enough for it to cure properly.

Good excuses?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I happened to be consider'n just that when I saw your post come in. CKangeroo (Roo) turned me onto some really cool, big box, cruiser bikes. I wanna do some budget builds for a quick turnover.

But was thinking about rag joints vs the higher end sprocket deals. Cheaper wheels, the spokes just bend with the torque of a 4 smoke.

So just happened to be thinking of instead of a rag joint. Make it a rag joint+.

Same deal but larger backing than the normal rag joint. That a sprocket bolts to. :confused:
So the stress is spread over a larger area but is still a universal fit. (Universal; one size fits none perfectly) But this might.

If nothing else, would make switching sprockets easier.....

But great build.
Dave (31) did a "junkyard build" and I confused your thread title with his. Awesome build as well. Think he did it for like .34 cents or some thing crazy like that. All found parts except he had to buy a washer or some thing. Was amazing. He "saddle bag" mounted a 4 stroke engine back when the rest of us were still trying to figure out 2 smokes.

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Yeah,rag joint, I like the huffy cran rims n spokes...but both of the ones I have make that noizzze, unless you slightly turn back the sprocket. Took'm apart, greased em up...same thing. I'm just gonna use it, make sure I can ride w/o gears!

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Well, long time gone. This bike was what I was working on before I got hit by a car...yup....i guess I didn't look twice, pulled out in front of a car doing bout 25. It was yard sale day and cars were parked so you didn't have clear view. Nothing broken, all healed now. Buttttt...they impounded my beautiful bike, and by the time I got there....400$ to bail her out! By the time I thought about it it was 800$ so they let me get my saddle bags off and that's ...that!! So I finally finished this bike. I gave up on the rag joint. Found a steel hub, and enlarged the sprocket to slip on the hub. It works out nice cause there is a ridge the sprocket lays flat and just the right spacing. I was bum'd for awhile thinking the wreck was a sign to give up riding, cause I don't remember any of it. Just the hospital. lol
WP_20171031_13_44_36_Pro.jpg
WP_20171031_13_45_57_Pro.jpg
WP_20171031_13_46_18_Pro.jpg

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
The frame has been reworked,headtube,seat tube, downtube, sldeouts for rear.. was working a pan seat with shock..regular seat is best.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Damn! Glad you're still with us scratch. Bike looks real sharp. Notice you got mounts for a suspension seat and shock. Looks just like mine-

Attachments