Chrome Genisis GX7 29er 7-speed with JS

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Ya, sometimes I feel the need to share a build in the main.
Here are the before pics:

Specs:
Gensis GX7 Aluminum 29'er Frame that only weighs about 30 Lbs.
66cc Shyhawk with an Iridium spark plug, CNS carb, short intake, and expansion chamber.
SickBikes shift kit to a 7-speed derailleur.
Bullet proof tires.
Dual V brakes on a single teeter-totter dual pull brake lever.
1200 Lumen Cree with a Lithium Ion battery pack.
My re-wire of the bikes electrical system.

This is how it turned out:

Things to note are that X-chamber has a double front mount and a second mount just in front of the seat post that kind of disappears.

The head, JS mount and side covers are all bright silver via a can of high temp motor paint to offset the dull gray of the rest of motor.

It didn't go together easy but it went together well.
Does it look quick and fast?
It flies like a hawk, quick as I like and faster than I care to go, I love builds like this ;-}

johnnygadget

Oct 9, 2012
Peru,Illinois
just got my GX7, first impression, what have I done ! first attempt at a bike build, any tips would be appreciated, pics of motor mounts ? after seeing your finished pics I am reassured that it can be done ! thanks

borntofli

Jul 27, 2012
tx
I have 2 questions on the bike.....

Does the motor have to be so high in the frame?? I'm guessing yes because of the jackshaft but am curious as to the reason....

Does that small of an expansion chamber give much increase??

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I have 2 questions on the bike.....
Does the motor have to be so high in the frame?? I'm guessing yes because of the jackshaft but am curious as to the reason....
The front mount is a SickBikeParts.com Small mount, I don't recall the exact size for the muffler clamp so measure yours, but it is in the Small size, not the Large size range.

This is important as the U bolt muffler clamps very in size by 1/8" but there are only 2 Z plate sizes and they have groves and will accept a wide range of clap sizes with one or two overlapping sizes.

This build was a couple of months and a several builds ago but I did mention it 'didn't go together easy' but if memory serves I tried to orient the Z plate pointing down and cupped up so the motor set lower but because of the odd almost V bend I just couldn't get the right side JS chain the proper length without using a 1/2 link so I went up and even had to use a set of the included spacers between the top of the muffler bracket and the Z plate.
Does that small of an expansion chamber give much increase??
That pipe did OK and it did help as we test rode it with a stock pipe first but I wouldn't recommend it, in fact I was glad to darn near give it away just to get it out of the shop.

I live in the desert and it was built in August, that means the only pants we wear are shorts everywhere all the time if possible. Not advisable with a hot pipe right next to your exposed inner thigh so go with a down pipe if you ever ride in anything but jeans ;-}

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
just got my GX7, first impression, what have I done ! first attempt at a bike build, any tips would be appreciated, pics of motor mounts ? after seeing your finished pics I am reassured that it can be done ! thanks
I addressed your front mount question with a quote from the next post after (2 birds with stone) but I thought I'd take the time to address this as well.

Though the GX7 is a fairly easy direct drive build but NO jackshafted build is easy for a first build, **** they aren't even easy after a dozen builds so here are some quick tips:

Like getting a rag sprocket to align on all 3 planes to a bicycles spokes, getting the motor mounted to a JS kit so the left side chain is perfect depending on your motor is a real pain, and like the rag sprocket simply must be done right or you will have problems forever.

Read the ENTIRE JS shift kit manual cover to cover first.
Then read it again.

The first you likely to find you did wrong was forgetting to put the bolt through the back plate before adding the 2nd plate.

The next thing would most likely be your chain won't fit, it will be just a 'tad' too short and your first thought will be to use a 1/2 link and shim the motor out. Do NOT start this way!

Take a grinder or a file to the soft metal of the back motor mount until you get the the 2 chain ends to meet on the JS sprocket and you can the main piece of the master link on it,
You will find you can't get the other side of the master link on.
That's OK, pedal or roll it 50' or more, just the one side of the master will keep it in that long and that will seat everything much better and as if magic you can put the rest of the mater link pieces on, your chain will be tight as heck, and you can set the shims aside for if and when the chain and sprockets really wear in ;-}

Yes Johnny, really picked a tough first build.

Last edited:

Dr.8820

Dec 20, 2010
Freakville
What a nice build, and I'm seriously thinking of doing the same build! I'm thinking of getting a chrome engine from BGF, and painting the JS kit black. Looking at yours, I bought the Zoombycle's JS, which isn't nearly as complete as the SB JS kit, and I'm having the exact same problem with the right side chain...I'm going to try your tip! Thanks again and enjoy!

stewpedassle

Feb 16, 2012
florida
i have astra 4stroke w 36 tooth drive sprocket get about 28 mph-32 depend wind hills etc wht kind of speed you getting? looks awsome!!!!

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
i have astra 4stroke w 36 tooth drive sprocket get about 28 mph-32 depend wind hills etc wht kind of speed you getting? looks awsome!!!!
With the 66cc 2-stroke and X-pipe it put out about 3HP, with skilled shifting 0-25MPH in about 3 seconds, 40MPH in about 10 seconds and from there on up it all depends on wind resistance, weight and terrain but most every one of my high end builds like that will hit 45MPH which is faster than I care to ride ;-}

Biker for life

Jan 4, 2013
Florida
Ya, sometimes I feel the need to share a build in the main.
Here are the before pics:

Specs:
Gensis GX7 Aluminum 29'er Frame that only weighs about 30 Lbs.
66cc Shyhawk with an Iridium spark plug, CNS carb, short intake, and expansion chamber.
SickBikes shift kit to a 7-speed derailleur.
Bullet proof tires.
Dual V brakes on a single teeter-totter dual pull brake lever.
1200 Lumen Cree with a Lithium Ion battery pack.
My re-wire of the bikes electrical system.

This is how it turned out:

Things to note are that X-chamber has a double front mount and a second mount just in front of the seat post that kind of disappears.

The head, JS mount and side covers are all bright silver via a can of high temp motor paint to offset the dull gray of the rest of motor.

It didn't go together easy but it went together well.
Does it look quick and fast?
It flies like a hawk, quick as I like and faster than I care to go, I love builds like this ;-}
I have the gx 7 genisis bike just need a motor to mount on it what is the price on the kit?

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I have the gx 7 genisis bike just need a motor to mount on it what is the price on the kit?
There is no 'complete Kit' for how I built this JS shifter Genisis nor do I want to get into even dealing with kits for sale until I expand to easy electrics which may be sooner than I expected, sometimes alot of research, good knowledge of what you want, and a little marketing knowledge In short made that Genisis a kick ass shifter had cost after bike was about $350.

Personally I didn't like building on it but ya, it 'looks cool', the difference is that sucker would blow you away with it's performance when I finally got it done (a week) but not something I would recommend and discourage any newibie from trying.

XxxHookedxxX

Mar 7, 2017
Delaware
I started doing bikes last year. Just started reading the forums the other day. First build was Gx7 4 stroke no shift kit. Runs great 2500 mile on it. Still running good.

I just got done a new build as back up and was looking around for info on shift kits and found your bike. Love it! Looks about like my new one. I was like dam someone all ready did one! Ill link my face book pic link.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=390024621378966&set=pcb.390024674712294&type=3&theater

Just cant not make my mind up on the shift kit. Been thinking about putting one on the 4 stroke but not sure how well the kit would work one this bike gx7. But after seeing yours I might just go with shift kit on the silver bike. But worry about 2 stoke being reliable (1st 2 stoke). Well I just need one good bike to go to work 4 to 8 mile a day.