MBB: Motorbicycling Blue Book - Request

GoldenMotor.com

pulsar2121

Feb 20, 2013
USA
I have been thinking about building a motorized trike out of a Schwinn Meridian or similar trike. I like the idea of being able to carry a half shopping cart load full of groceries home and the thought of rear mounting a 4-cycle engine so pedal crank clearance wouldn't be an issue. So, I decided to put an ad in the local paper offering up to $75 for any condition. The reason being that these are hard to find and the people that own them probably aren't young enough to want to use a computer to look at craigslist. My theory was correct. I got a couple of calls within hours of the paper delivery. The best one is an old steel frame Schwinn Meridian with the blue paint and the wire basket in back. The problem is one of the back wheels is bent beyond repair. I guess the guy bumped into it pretty good with the snow blower. However, the frame is supposedly in good condition.

So I guess my question is: where would I find a replacement rear wheel for this and is cost of repairing this old trike worth it compared to $250 to the new aluminum frame ones, granted I can't weld aluminum. If I need to make motor mounts it would be nice to have the option to weld them to the frame.

Finally, what do you think is a decent price for a trike in this age and condition?

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Get off the computer and go buy that.

I've been looking for one for a friend for quite some time with no luck. They're hard to find here, and when you do, they're either the newer narrow rear, or super expensive, or both. A nice steel frame would be great. (Be sure to thoroughly inspect the frame for unusual wear or cracks)

A bad wheel is a good excuse to upgrade them all, and that's a pretty cheap way to feel safe at 20mph.

Good luck! Start a build thread on your 3-wheel 4-stroke, and post alot of pics if you can.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
If the hub is undamaged on that bent wheel all it would need is a replacement rim and new spokes to be back in business. A good old steel trike is worth having over any kind of modern offering. I'd say go for it, - you won't regret it in the long run. :)

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
It may be a good idea to upgrade the rear wheels anyway. A motorized trike turning at speed will place a slightly increased side-load on your wheels. You may want to lace in some 12 gauge spokes to a stronger rim. Then you'll have no worries. Go buy that trike, I say. And get the wheels rebuilt so they'll handle having a motor. And then have some fun! :)

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Husky has trike wheels,12 gauge spooks steel rims, not the cheep-est but for a good dependable trike....................Curt