New here from Phoenix Arizona!

GoldenMotor.com

Herdo

Sep 20, 2013
Glendale Arizona
Hello everyone, happy to be here. I've been lurking over the past few days, taking in as much as I can. I am a complete newbie to motorized bicycles but I have an idea of what I'd like.

I found someone here on the forums who sells custom gas tanks for the Schwinn straight bar frames as well as the Schwinn frames and I think that is what I am going to be looking into.

Right now I am looking at the 49cc Hua Sheng kit with the 4G - T belt drive. http://www.bicycle-engines.com/49cc-4G-T-Belt-Drive-Complete-Gas-Powered-Engine-Kit.html

Supposedly, the 5:1 ratio (I have no idea what this means!) is the way to go, so I'd have to track one of those down.

I plan on commuting to work on my motorized bicycle which is 11 miles each way. One of the perks of living in AZ is that all of the roads are in a grid pattern, which means I can take side streets the entire way to work.

I am very worried about the law here in Arizona regarding motorized bicycles however. Apparently, anything over 48cc is illegal, and if caught going 20mph or more, your bike is then reclassified as a moped, which means you are looking at thousands of dollars in fines, not to mention having your bike impounded.

I've read a couple horror stories of people here in Phoenix having their bikes impounded, and never getting them out due to a lack of evidence of ownership (no VIN numbers or registration, etc).

I found a forum member who was apparently looking to change the laws earlier this year, but it looks like the bill died so maybe next year something will happen.

Anyway, sorry for the long introduction. I'm happy to be here and looking to learn a lot!

akohtz

Aug 12, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I plan on commuting to work on my motorized bicycle which is 11 miles each way. One of the perks of living in AZ is that all of the roads are in a grid pattern, which means I can take side streets the entire way to work.

I am very worried about the law here in Arizona regarding motorized bicycles however. Apparently, anything over 48cc is illegal, and if caught going 20mph or more, your bike is then reclassified as a moped, which means you are looking at thousands of dollars in fines, not to mention having your bike impounded.

I've read a couple horror stories of people here in Phoenix having their bikes impounded, and never getting them out due to a lack of evidence of ownership (no VIN numbers or registration, etc).
Welcome.

Check out this website I found for details on all the bike lanes in Maricopa county:

http://geo.azmag.gov/maps/bikemap/

This has helped me plan which side streets to use. My goal is to stay as far away from the busy roads as possible.

I live on the border with Glendale. A few days ago I did a 2 hour long 22 mile zigzagging ride through your city. No issues with the police so far. I keep my speed down and they've just driven past.

I thought the engine size was anything under 50cc, so 49 would be okay on the streets. I've started a collection of documentation on my bike "just in case." I've got photographic evidence of my ownership and the serial number on the bottom of the crank case. I also have kept a copy of my receipt for the purchase of the motor that states I bought a 48cc engine. I don't know what else to do but I figure something is better than nothing.

Good luck. I'm finding mine to be a lot of fun to ride.

- Andrew

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Welcome to the forum Herdo, glad you joined us.

One thing I do to prove ownership is to register my bikes with http://www.nationalbikeregistry.com/ All Law enforcement in AZ recognize the national bike registry. And you can fill out your registration to include that it is a motorized bicycle and the size of the motor.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Hi fellow Zonie Herdo, welcome.
I had a house for a decade on the Glendale/Phoenix border at 51st Ave and Cactus, I'm in Sunnyslope off of 15th Ave and Peoria now.
Right now I am looking at the 49cc Hua Sheng kit with the 4G - T belt drive. http://www.bicycle-engines.com/49cc-4G-T-Belt-Drive-Complete-Gas-Powered-Engine-Kit.html
I really like that kit, I get mine from gasbike.net for about $20 less delivered than your link but it's the same 4G kit (maybe) my latest 4-stroke kit had a different left side cover and I like it better.

Technically the 49cc HS 4-stroke is 48.7cc so if you throw out the fraction it's 48cc and legal here.

I am coming up on 4 years of riding locally far over 20MPH one these things and well over 100 customers I have built them for with way more than legal size and the bottom line is if you ride safely the local police have far better things to do than hassle you about you bike and neither myself or any of customers have ever been hassled.

Heck I was on my high performance 66cc shifter doing 38 on 43rd ave at about Northern (40MPH speed limit) on the right side of the 3 lane south bond roadway and a cruiser with two cops came to pace me.
I looked over, smiled and nodded my head and they both just smiled, nodded and went on by.

Why?
I had on glasses, a bike helmet, and a front flashing light so not a danger to myself or others.

I know of one, a kid that was not riding responsibly and that drew the cops attention.

As far as proof of ownership goes make yourself up a receipt like I give my customers.

Your name, serial numbers and a picture pretty much says it all, for 48cc bikes with the engine plate I include the AZ law printed on the back to whip out.

I found a forum member who was apparently looking to change the laws earlier this year, but it looks like the bill died so maybe next year something will happen.
That would be me, and I've been trying for 2 years and will try again next legislative session ;-}

I don't know what Schwinn model bike you are looking at but I've build 2 of these 4-strokers on that 29" Macargi Fatal Love bicycle for about $220 at the Try Me Bicycle Shop around the corner from me on 15th Ave and Hatcher and I love them, in fact they are the shop favorite and I have 3rd one sitting here waiting for me to drop in a 79cc Predator 4-stroke with a shifting Torque Converter transfer case, if anything will get a cops attention that will be it but again it is not about the machine you are operating, it is how you are operating it that gets the attention, I mean even going through a DUI checkpoint they simply just don't look at the machine.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum. When I lived in the east valley, the police were cool as long as you didn't go over 20mph in the bike lanes. Riding the canal banks is another way to avoid traffic sometimes. Be very careful of the bike lanes at night. There are joggers, dog walkers, strollers and everything else in the bike lane and they are very tough to see in the dark.

akohtz

Aug 12, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Riding the canal banks is another way to avoid traffic sometimes.
The canal paths are multi-use by bikes as well as pedestrians. I was under the impression that all motorized vehicles were off limits where pedestrians tread on sidewalks and pathways.

I know that the city of Scottsdale seems to indicate it clearly in their ordinance:

http://www.scottsdaleaz.gov/Assets/Public+Website/traffic/MultiuseOrdinance.pdf

Salt River Project (who operates the canals) seems to spell it out too:

http://www.srpnet.com/water/canals/safety.aspx

Am I wrong on this one? Can we claim we're just bicycles and get away with it? How often do you ride the canals? Any issues?

- Andrew

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
hello Andrew and welcome to the world of motorized bicycles. have lots of members from az and I am sure they will help answer your questions. where I live we can ride them anywhere

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
akohtz is correct about the paved multi-use paths on canal banks. If it is concrete or asphalt, it's human power only (and stealth electric).
There were some canals I rode to avoid baseline road that were still dirt surface, so it was no problem as long as I gave joggers and pedallers sufficient space.

Herdo

Sep 20, 2013
Glendale Arizona
Thank you everyone for the replies! You have all been a huge help.

Andrew, here are the laws in question:

ARIZONA HB 2796

START_STATUTE
28-2516. Motorized electric or gas powered bicycles or tricycles; definition

A. Notwithstanding any other provision of this title:

1. A certificate of title is not required for a motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle.

2. Registration is not required for a motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle.

3. Vehicle license tax is not imposed on a motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle.

4. A motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle is exempt from the provisions of section 28-964 relating to required equipment on motorcycles and motor-driven cycles and from the provisions of title 49, chapter 3, article 5 relating to vehicle emissions inspections.

5. A driver license is not required to operate a motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle.

6. A motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle may use rights-of-way designated for the exclusive use of bicycles.

7. A motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle is not subject to chapter 9 of this title.

B. For the purposes of this section, "motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle" means a bicycle or tricycle that is equipped with a helper motor that has a maximum piston displacement of forty-eight cubic centimeters or less, that may also be self-propelled and that is operated at speeds of less than twenty miles per hour.
END_STATUTE

The current law states 48cc or less. As for using the canals, cities themselves have the right to impose their own ordinances, like Scottsdale has done. However, the link you posted to the SRP Canal Safety Tips refers to "Motorized Vehicles" which is a specifically defined vehicle that does NOT include motorized bicycles, motorized wheelchairs, motorized skateboards, etc.

Dave31, thank you so much for that info. I will be registering my bike as soon as it's ready to ride!

KCvale, thanks again for getting involved and making a difference. And thanks for the tips about printing up a receipt.

I do have a question for everyone though. Was I correct in thinking the 5:1 4G T drive is the better one? I believe that is the 2010 model correct? What is the new one and what is the gear ratio? Also, could someone explain to me what this all means? Is this ratio from the gear box to the back sprocket that drives the wheel, or is the 5:1 ratio between two gears in the gear box?

Thanks again everyone.