potential motorized biker

GoldenMotor.com

stux16

Jun 2, 2013
USA
Im a college student with enough money for rent and food. I got a bike and wouldnt mind putting an engine; hate having to go uphill with a bag with textbooks and a laptop.
Im well versed on how this stuff works but my hands are sort of useless (all my experience is with computers). Ive been exploring this for a couple of hours now; I found on craigslist some cheap leaf blowers but Im really a noob so Im thinkingf I should go with a kit. Ive read horrible stuff on these kits though. I have read around the forums that the advertisements are approved by the fan base?
I live in a "college town" so some method of security would be nice for this potential idea (by security I mean key starter or some other idea).
Anyways I have lots of patience, I think I can figure this out. Just need some advice.
My budget would be around $100-150
Picture of the bike: https://photos-4.dropbox.com/t/0/AADSWP-8Ye6FOZ653U6KiPiIj1EKveVNuMAjoZFvYyvO6Q/12/37624233/jpeg/32x32/3/_/1/2/IMG_20130602_193822.jpg/EeQuhtplX_JP7mizgWO1cbBD6p7DVaj9BGk2TGSJXKA?size=1280x960

Thanks in advance..!!

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum. Unless you have access to somebody's tools and garage, I would build from a kit. A motor kit on a suitable bike will require less tools and fabricated brackets, Fewer problems to solve and you are riding sooner. Just my 2 cents.

2strokebke

May 17, 2013
Richmond,Va
Hi welcome to motorbicycling.com, $150 is plenty you will need a few tool and take your time 3-4hours search this guy on ebay rose326a, He sells alot of kits and he ships very fast took only 6 days too arrive at my parents door in richmond,va.

stux16

Jun 2, 2013
USA
Thanks all! But regarding the security question, is there any way to get some sort of secure ignition, I wouldnt be surprised if this got stolen within a week..
thanks

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Thanks all! But regarding the security question, is there any way to get some sort of secure ignition, I wouldnt be surprised if this got stolen within a week..
thanks
A key ignition will not prevent someone picking it up and toting it off.
Get a good lock and chain or cable and USE IT!
I lock through both wheels and the frame to something immovable like a telephone pole or similar.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I'm unsure exactly how many miles but its a LOT. I ride every day and I've had this engine for going on two years now without a single failure. My chain roller is worn out but it still rides fine(I just don't trust it anymore)so I've ordered a new roller made from a skateboard wheel. Maintaining these motors is VERY important. I go over my Pig daily for loose stuff and fix anything I find before it becomes a failure. The main thing I do to prolong engine life is to run it a touch rich for plenty of oil. Mine is jetted to run smooth under throttle and four-stroke a bit when cruising. I run 40:1 with good oil and the rich jetting lowers engine wear. I also don't scream my motor since I run a higher gear to lower my normal cruise rpm's.
I run a tack welded tensioner, HD#41 roller chain, and a auto plugwire and cap.
The only performance part is a homebuilt tuned pipe.
Had the pipe off the other day and no carbon buildup at all in the port!

stux16

Jun 2, 2013
USA
I'm unsure exactly how many miles but its a LOT. I ride every day and I've had this engine for going on two years now without a single failure. My chain roller is worn out but it still rides fine(I just don't trust it anymore)so I've ordered a new roller made from a skateboard wheel. Maintaining these motors is VERY important. I go over my Pig daily for loose stuff and fix anything I find before it becomes a failure. The main thing I do to prolong engine life is to run it a touch rich for plenty of oil. Mine is jetted to run smooth under throttle and four-stroke a bit when cruising. I run 40:1 with good oil and the rich jetting lowers engine wear. I also don't scream my motor since I run a higher gear to lower my normal cruise rpm's.
Thanks! Were you able to see the bike I have? Not sure if the engine would actually fit there..
thanks again!!

missle3944

Feb 28, 2012
California
Maniac,

I bought a kit from Rose326a but my clutch seems to be stuck. Is it normal for those clutches to have to be broken in a little?

I also stripped the phillips heads for the clutch cover to get to the engine sprocket.

Do you have any tips for me?

Thanks

-Dan

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
on most of my kits the clutch is frozen when i first put it on. You're goign to need to extract that stripped phillips head. I would replace it with a higher quality hex bolt or a allen head bolt

missle3944

Feb 28, 2012
California
ok thanks for the advice. I'm wondering if I will even ever need to get into that clutch cover if my clutch starts working. I can just feed the chain through the sprocket and out the other end

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
I do.
I end up taking the right side cover off to loosen the clutch plate and then the left side plate off and i hand feed the chain through.
then i put then left hand plate back on and adjust the clutch play.
then i go and ride it to make sure it engages

then i put the right hand plate back on

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Take the assembled bike out and ride it while releasing the clutch lever. That should break the clutch loose. Sometimes the pads stick to the plate and need to be popped loose.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Stux...your pic link comes up error 403...can't see the bike.
I use photobucket to post pics. Use the img links.