Felt Twin VS Sturmey Archer 90mm

GoldenMotor.com

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Hey ! Lets see that clamp! I ran into the same problem with my Felt. Found a stainless clampy thingy at Ace. Got the biggest one they had and used Grade 8 stuff and a steel bushing as a spacer. EDIT: Clampy thingy = 'Adel Clamps'

Attachments

Last edited:

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Hey ! Lets see that clamp! I ran into the same problem with my Felt. Found a stainless clampy thingy at Ace. Got the biggest one they had and used Grade 8 stuff and a steel bushing as a spacer. EDIT: Clampy thingy = 'Adel Clamps'
Never thought about going your route...but that's not bad.

Found a pix of the type of clamp I used. It's not pretty...but it works and should outlast me. As soon as I get back from church...will be taking the camera out there to get some pix of the new brakes and 1 piece crank.

Attachments

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Never thought about going your route...but that's not bad.
It's taken me almost a month of carb problems and being able to find the parts to rebuild the SA cable. What I found is the only thing you can get is two parts to build your own cable. You will need to get an SA Brake Adjuster Assembly. Here's the page to order this part: http://www.amazon.com/Sturmey-Arche...UTF8&colid=CBZZFLATSEKM&coliid=I3TDEMMCF21UZ1 .

The other part is called a SA Pinch Bolt. Here's the page where you can order them online: http://www.amazon.com/Sturmey-Archer-Pinch-Bolt/dp/B001GSMS7I/ref=pd_sim_sg_1 .

When you have both of these...you need to build your own cable with a cable you build or order. As for myself...I've ordered enough parts to have three cables without having to order them. Just need to order/buy a cable.

In case you're wondering...here's what my new cable/clamp looks like. You will also see pictures of the parts you need to keep in stock for when you cable does break...not if it will.

Attachments

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Funny you mention those parts, phoobarnvaz, I just ordered them last week! I had the brake arm bolt of my rear Sturmey drum fall out and it spun the whole assembly.
The Brake Adjuster was ruined and the Pinch Bolt got launched somewhere into oblivion! :-|| lol

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Funny you mention those parts, phoobarnvaz, I just ordered them last week! I had the brake arm bolt of my rear Sturmey drum fall out and it spun the whole assembly.
The Brake Adjuster was ruined and the Pinch Bolt got launched somewhere into oblivion! :-|| lol
I did my best to try to find a complete cable...but SA does not sell them except with a new hub. When I got my cable put on this morning...actually broke the plastic wrench handle I was using to tighten the nut with.

When mine broke about 3 weeks ago...had 2 hose clamps holding that arm in place. They shattered and took my cable with it. Broke the adjuster at the point where the adjuster hooks up to the arm.

Ended up getting a 1 1/4" muffler clamp and tightened the arm directly to the fork. After getting my parts...put the cable together with a cable end that my roommate helped clamp into place with a pair of vice grips. Don't think either are going any place...but I think SA sucks for not giving you an option of buying a complete cable rather than sell you parts. Sure...it would cost more...but it would be easier than buying the parts separately.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
The cable itself isn't proprietary, you can use just about any brake cable. Only the adjuster and pinch bolt are specific to the Sturmey brake.

Yeah, never use a hose clamp to secure a brake arm! That goes for any drum or coaster brake, too!