Welcome To The Deep South

GoldenMotor.com

kerf

Jun 28, 2010
Birmingham, Al
Yeah, couple of days and it will all be water again. Isn't doing a lot of Auburn fans much good at this point, they've been sleeping at the airport overnight, trying to get to Arizona for the BCS Championship. At least Southwest is trying to get them there before kickoff. Spend three or four thousand dollars on a football trip, only to sleep on the floor, is a real bummer.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
back a few years ago in NH we had freezing rain for over 2 days no stop with 40+ mph gusts. when all was said and done you could crack blades of grass right off like a branch. much like your pics EVERYTHING was iced over, but this looked much more glossy and smooth then your pictures, it was actually pretty scary.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
matthurd, lived in North Conway in the 90's when an ice storm hit. May be the one your talking about. Trees 40 feet+ bent double and the tops touched the ground and stayed there when it melted.
Tree branches a 1/4 inch thick were 1-1/2 thick with the ice build up. Looked like someone had polished the ice to a high luster.
It was pretty unless you lived on a country road that they couldn't get open for over a week. Learned to ask just were people lived before I said anything like that after the first time. Guy wouldn't talk to me after that the whole time I lived there.

Steve.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Jet Trails over Jacksonville

OK, I'll admit it- I'm an environmentalist and have been for years. In fact in '91 I wrote a book about it (unpublished, well, that's no surprise)

Below is video I shot in Jacksonville two weeks ago- of jet trails seeding the wet skies with clouds that block the sun and further inhibit evaporation I've since shot more, and shot this for several years now

I think there is a link between this and the flooding and extreme weather of late, all around the globe. Yes extreme weather has always been with us, but not in the scope of late, not in the same frequency and scale.

YouTube - Jet Trails 12-29-2010

I'm always arguing on The Inconvenient Truth board over at imdb- movie database, where I'm the not so beloved harpon1
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0497116/board/threads/

We're running with the shadows of the night xct2

Last edited:

kerf

Jun 28, 2010
Birmingham, Al
Re: Jet Trails over Jacksonville

I think there is a link between this and the flooding and extreme weather of late, all around the globe. Yes extreme weather has always been with us, but not in the scope of late, not in the same frequency and scale.
Can you cite hard historical evidence to back up that statement? I seem to recall reading of previous extreme periods such as the Medieval Warm Period (950–1250 AD) or the Little Ice Age beginning in the 16th century? This would tend to suggest that your statement is incorrect.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
Re: Jet Trails over Jacksonville

as kerf said, we've always had environmental extremes.

global climate change is a more likely solution then this being hugely related to human activities. while green house gases certainly aren't helping the ozone in anyway i don't think they're the main cause. when i can find a 3 million year old whale carcass in a desert in africa or something like tat, it proves the theory on plate tectonics (imo at least it does) along with the fact that the north pole shifts around 40 miles every year.

fact is the evidence supports this theory with out any real inconsistencies, so regardless of human activity i think this would be happening.

@fasteddy i wasn't born until 92, and moved to MA in like 97 or 98 (then back to NH in 03) so theirs a possibility i wasn't born when that storm happened, was simply to young to remember, or didn't even live in that state when it happened lol.

the one i was talking about was around 2006 i think.