Are pedals required?

GoldenMotor.com

Ebbertron

Aug 15, 2010
Oklahoma
With these small engine kits, is it neccessary to keep the pedals/crank/sprocket in order to install the engine?

I'm a motorcycle guy first (though Ive built lowrider show bicycles in my youth) and was recently given an OCC stingray that I want to strip down and turn into a mini-bobber for my nephews, but I think keeping the pedals on there is going to ruin the look Im going for....

if they can be installed without having to rely on the pedals to start it up, then I'll buy a kit, otherwise I'm going to try and shove a 5.5hp briggs OHV intek motor on it...

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
unless you want to "scooter" it off the line and push it to start it, you need pedals.

my bikes will take off from a standstill without pedaling, but very slowly, and it really puts a hurt on the motor.

but starting it, you'd have to roll downhill or run alongside and jump on it to start it, unless you have a pull start.

also, in california at least, it must have pedals to be legal.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
Same in NH by keeping the pedals it makes it a "motor assisted" bike. NOt to mention that I do use the pedals on some steep hills....Oh wait my new sprocket solved that... So peddles are for starting and skirting the law, thinking of them as foot pegs if it will help you feel better about them.

EPlusGuy

Aug 30, 2010
Dulles, VA
You might want to consider whether you WANT to use pedals (not just if they're required). The electric bikes I build (which can be assembled using the DIY electric bike kit on your personal bike) have the option of using pedal, or motor, or both. I like having that flexibility because sometimes you don't want to put in any effort (all motor), sometimes you want a workout (all pedal), and sometimes you want a combo (both).

Just my 2 cents!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Check you local laws. Most that allow motorizing a bicycle also stipulate that it retain the pedals. That keeps it in the motor assisted catagory. No pedals in some places becomes a motorcycle, with all the attached regulations of one.
Tom

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Do you got a link to the electric start for the China Motor? Not that I would ever use one. The curiosity is killing me.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Me 2 GH. Wow Kim. Uber cool. Have not seen that.

(side note. Good to see ya back. Went to quote ya and all your stuff was gone. ((Pronounced g a w n here, snork)

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
Nope sorry i don't saw them on ebay by same seller that was doing the pull start my friend bought for his HT.

KiM