Hello from Maryland

GoldenMotor.com

Cannonfish

Apr 10, 2009
Maryland
Hi everyone - I'm building my first 48cc motorized bicycle from a kit, and I just discovered this amazing forum a couple of days ago.
I bought the engine kit and the bike (a Micargi beach cruiser) from BikeBerry, and they both arrived in less than a week and it seems like all the parts are there. This build will probably take me a while and I'm slightly concerned about the end result, because I'm one of those who tends to be way better at taking things apart than putting them back together... Nonetheless, I'm totally captivated by the thought of riding around on a motorized bicycle, so here we go.
I've attached a couple of pictures of the bike, pre-engine installation (I haven't even ridden it around the block yet). I think it has a cool WWII look to it, and I'm going to try to build on that look as the project moves on.
I'm sure I'm about to have lots of dumb questions for you guys coming up very soon :)

usflg

Attachments

Cannonfish

Apr 10, 2009
Maryland
Hello again - well, I've run into a snag already. I've got the sprocket mounted on the rear wheel and the engine mounted on the frame. I've got the clutch cable hooked up (at least, I think), and the chain on the drive sprocket...

But when I spin the back wheel (which takes a lot of effort), the engine doesn't turn over. I've tried this both with the clutch actuator pushed in and with it let out.

I took off the right-side engine cover and looked in there, and I'm seeing a silver disc spinning on top of the large gear. I believe this may be the actual clutch? Anyway it won't engage the gears at all, regardless of what position I hold the actuator in while I spin the back wheel.

I tried tightening that flower-nut on top of the silver disc, but that didn't seem to help. Then I took the flower-nut completely off and tried tightening and then loosening the 3/4" nut underneath it, along with the 3/4" nut on the sprocket side of the clutch "axle", but none of that seemed to do anything at all. Am I missing something simple?

I *knew* I shouldn't have looked under all those panels before I mounted the engine...

Cannonfish

Apr 10, 2009
Maryland
Dan, That Spooky Tooth army bike is very cool - in fact their website was the one I randomly stumbled onto several months back, and began this fascination.

But with so many different companies offering kits, I thought I could do better than the $550 for the unassembled kit+bike that they offer. BikeBerry turned out to be a pretty good deal I think - I got essentially the same bike (Chinese-manufactured beach cruiser) plus a 48cc engine kit for almost $300 less.

I'm thinking (well if I could get it to run), this bike could have *way* more entertainment value than most stuff I stumble onto .bf.

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
welcome Cfish, you will be happy with the bikeberry engine/bike . I have 2 of there engines and they both went together without much hassle.

The clutch issue is similiar to what i found out myself, you may have your cable to tight, loosen the cable from the actuator(the silver bar with small nut on it) till you feel some snugness then hand tighten the screw. then follow it up with 1/2 more turn with a wrench, be careful that nut is small and breaks easy.

in that position your clutch is engaged and the rear tire wont move unless you pedal hard . Now try to pull your clutch handle and the rear wheel should spin somewhat freely for when you use your pedal.

hope this helped

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Hello again - well, I've run into a snag already. I've got the sprocket mounted on the rear wheel and the engine mounted on the frame. I've got the clutch cable hooked up (at least, I think), and the chain on the drive sprocket...

But when I spin the back wheel (which takes a lot of effort), the engine doesn't turn over. I've tried this both with the clutch actuator pushed in and with it let out.

I took off the right-side engine cover and looked in there, and I'm seeing a silver disc spinning on top of the large gear. I believe this may be the actual clutch? Anyway it won't engage the gears at all, regardless of what position I hold the actuator in while I spin the back wheel.

I tried tightening that flower-nut on top of the silver disc, but that didn't seem to help. Then I took the flower-nut completely off and tried tightening and then loosening the 3/4" nut underneath it, along with the 3/4" nut on the sprocket side of the clutch "axle", but none of that seemed to do anything at all. Am I missing something simple?

I *knew* I shouldn't have looked under all those panels before I mounted the engine...
A way to test if you have the clutch cable adjusted correctly is, with both hands, push in the arm. It will be hard, but push until it stops moving. You won't break it. (if you do, I am on your team for any bar brawls!) While holding it with one hand, roll bike (or spin engine sprocket if you have the chain back off. would be easier) as you slowly let the arm back out. As soon as the sprocket stops turning, you found the sweet spot and you will know instantly where the cable stop should be. Will make perfect sense after you do it. With out a doubt, this is the biggest first build, first problem. Welcome to motorized bicycle riding! lol

Cannonfish

Apr 10, 2009
Maryland
Thanks gentlemen, excellent advice. Turned out that tightening the flower-nut under the engine panel on the right-hand side of the bike was the trick to get the clutch to engage the gears. Now the piston moves when its in gear and I spin the back wheel!

From here, I'm following your recommendations to adjust the cable to get it to engage at the sweet spot (tomorrow, cause I'm bushed at this point).

One more clutch question for the evening though: How difficult should it be to "spin" the drive sprocket when its out of gear? I put "spin" in quotation marks because I can hardly turn it at all. It is exceptionally difficult to pedal this bike even when its out of gear (I have the spark plug out and no exhaust/intake hooked up yet).

Is that normal?