Cyclocomputer keeps reseting itself

GoldenMotor.com

velardejose

Sep 9, 2008
Lima, Peru
Hi
Just installed a cyclocomputer
Assize brand (I know it is no vdo or cateye unit)
Anyway, when starting the engine it gets mad, flashes all codes and rests itself
I replaced my sparkplug wire (solid copper) with a carbon core piece
Doesnt rest anymore, but sometimes I get too fast readings (99 kph)
Would like to read your opinions
Thanks in advance

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
try a sigma 800, I've had no problems with either sigma (also have the 1200) that I own and they are rated to 50mph by SIGMA but have been tested on the road on street bikes up to 125mph.

When you installed did you run the wire straight do the front fork or did you wrap it around? I've heard that wrapping ti around the fork can help with the interference.

It could be that the speed is what is causing the read error. I had a cheapo $10 unit from target and it would carp out after only 18mph... what a POS. I'm sticking with wired sigma units from now on.

velardejose

Sep 9, 2008
Lima, Peru
Hi
I know that to have the wire loose is to make an effective antenna
Carbon core wire helped
Maybe a resistor spark plug?
When pedaling the reading is constant
When starting the engine reading can be coherent or sometimes shoot to 99 kph...
I will secure the wire to the fork and try it
If it doesn't work I'll use stereo microphone cable (2 conductors + shield)...
Peace
This MB thing is better (and cheaper) than therapy :ride2:

jburr36

Jul 17, 2008
Idaho
My cycle computer can be taken off the handle bar mount exposing the 2 metal contacts. I'm wondering if maybe yours does that then the motor's vibration could be causing breaks in the contacts or in the battery compartment. If not then the interference from the EMF on the spark plug is causing it. One way to find out is to wrap some aluminum foil (copper would be better) around the sensor wire to the computer and ground both ends. The shield would prevent the interference.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Somtimes if the magnet at the spockes touches the pick up sensor just the tiniest bit the vibration from that confueses the computer. Found that was happing when I got abnormal high readings. Hope that helps. I use the cheap walmart Bell 7

Last edited: