Shifter for 4G ???

GoldenMotor.com

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
I did a couple searches but to no avail.

I'm curious about what is required to put a shifter on a bike with a 4G kit. Are there kit available? Are they just built from random parts? Where do these things come from and how would I get one.

Just wonderin'
Fred

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Well, only 3 people have done it successfully so far that I know of. Myself, ocscully, and MotoMagz. No one's done a build thread on it, because there isn't much to document. How I did it was buy a non-tapered shaft Huasheng, aka the "5/8 shaft" engine and a 4G for that engine from bicycle-engines.com. Then I bought a 4-stroke shift kit from SBP. Then I kinda bolted it all together and ran it through my 3-speed Sturmey Archer hub.

18 months later, it still works, but I'll tell you right now: a shifter 4G is very rewarding, but also can be very difficult to set up and maintain. It's not simple like a Q-matic at all. You have 3 chains and significant drivetrain slack as a result. You may have to run dual spring-loaded tensioners on 2 of those chains to keep everything operating smoothly. The system will be very direct, if you are not gentle with the throttle operation, you will tweak the motor mount and maybe something else. It will wear out chains faster than most other systems. It will also amaze you with it's acceleration.

If you're already used to a 4G, you have a third of the battle won, tho. The rest is patience, and a bit of your own ingenuity.

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
So, Aleman has one that uses a Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub and Cannonball has one that uses a freewheel on the crank sprocket (looks very good Cannonball). And Sick has a four stroke one that drives kinda like Cannonballs does. The SBP unit looks very good and all the parts needed are present. That's helpful to me as my metal working capabilities are very limited.

OK, so the one that SBP has, with the crank sprocket freewheel, I'm assuming it uses the 5 or 7 cog shifter on the back of the bike to change gears. Right? If so, that would add a whole new dimension to the Motorbiking experience.

I'm feeling the need to look further into this. Thanks guys.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
NashMoto's great build is quite a bit different and on another level tho, that's why I didn't include it.
He lacks a reduction jackshaft compared to SBP's and cannonball2's, and his really isn't a 4G anymore per se :p

His overall ratio appears to be set extremely tall, you'd need extremely low gears on the rear wheel (NuVinci goes down to 0.5:1 itself) to use it.
You'd also need a lot of power (or a nice downhill) to use the NuVinci ratio on it's high end.

Last edited:

hmiwb

Oct 6, 2009
Missouri
I asked the crew at SBP about using their 4 stroke kit:

Hi,

I have a 5/8 shaft HS engine with a 4g T Belt transmission. Can I use this set up with your 4 stroke shift kit? In looking at the pictures it looks like it might work, but is there something I'm missing? I like the idea of being able to use my 7 speed deraileur system.

Thanks for your time,

And got the following response:

Bill,
As long as it is the 4G for the 5/8 shaft motor you are good to go.
Thanks,
Jim

It sounds like their kit will work as long as you have a 5/8 straight shaft engine and 4g kit.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
You can build a shifter 4G bike with the tapered-shaft version hardware, but you may have to run extra-extra-wide crank arms or extra-short arms.
Notching the engine mount slots is a possibility, too.

The SBP arms and spindle are 9.5" wide between inside crank arms at pedal location. The straight shaft setup with 4G cover mounted is 9.5".
I shaved some of the cover mount so mine's 9.375". The tapered shaft setup with cover mounted is 10-10.5" wide. Gotta get creative with that one!

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I just used the stock Grubee pedal set for the 4G that came with it. I turned the spindle to fit the SBP freewheel adapter. Requires very little removed. Could be done farily short order with a strip of sanding belt and a bit of care. Almost exactly the same effort as making a 5/8 clutch fit a Preadator. I then drilled a hole about 1/2 way throught the spindle and locked it with a hardened allen bolt since the adapter uses a key. The spindle only puts a load on the allen when pedaling as its stationary most of the time. Its not difficult to use the tapered shaft G4 kit with a bit of tweaking.