New to forum; new build; couple of questions

GoldenMotor.com

mystic-chris

May 9, 2011
Connecticut
I'm in the process of my first build using a 4-stroke 49cc Hua Sheng engine fitted to a EZ Motorbike Q-Matic drive system. The pulley on the Q-Matic drive's centrifugal clutch accepts a #41 chain. I have a hub-mounted 56-tooth sprocket on my rear wheel, and that sprocket's teeth are smaller than those on the clutch. So the #41 chain can move somewhat from side-to-side on the big sprocket. (The 56-tooth rear sprocket is more similar in tooth size to the pedal-side sprockets on the bike.)

What are the implications of running the bike with this setup? Can I? Should I?

I'd greatly appreciate any help with this.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
As long as the pitch of the chain and sprocket match a little side to side motion won't hurt you. Most of us who run the Chinese 2 stroke engines use a #41 chain and it's wider than the drive and driven sprocket..no problems.
If in doubt, contact your EZM dealer for confirmation.
Tom

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
welcome to the forum :)
I also have an EZM kit with a hub mounted (manic mechanic) 72t sprocket on my bike and have been using 41 chain for almost 9700 miles now without any problem :)

mystic-chris

May 9, 2011
Connecticut
When I realized the differences in the sprockets this morning -- how the #41 chain fits like a glove on the Q-Matic's clutch sprocket, but shifts side-to-side on the 56-tooth -- I was a bit a concerned. I've had enough delays getting my bike ready, and I didn't want to be searching out and paying for (and installing) a new rear sprocket.

One more related query: I've read that with proper chain alignment, rolling the bike backwards and forwards should be pretty quiet as far as the drive train goes. I've taken a lot of time with the available adjustments, and I believe that my chain is aligned well between the clutch and the 56-tooth. But I do hear some mechanical noise from the drivetrain. But probably not any more than I used to hear when wheeling my 400cc Suzuki road bike with the engine killed. Nothing clunky or intermittent. This shouldn't be as quiet as my non-powered 1-speed cruiser bike, should it?

I guess I'm getting a bit anxious about all this because I anticipate firing up the Hua Sheng for the very first time this late afternoon, and hopefully taking a maiden voyage on this beautiful (72F) day in Mystic, CT.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Chris,
A little mechanical (chain) noise is to be expected. You're correct that the drive train of a motorized bike will not be as quiet as a factory, single speed cruiser. It's just the nature of the beast.
Go fire that puppy up and enjoy. Ride safe, have fun. Let us know how things go.
Tom

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I'm in the process of my first build using a 4-stroke 49cc Hua Sheng engine fitted to a EZ Motorbike Q-Matic drive system. The pulley on the Q-Matic drive's centrifugal clutch accepts a #41 chain. I have a hub-mounted 56-tooth sprocket on my rear wheel, and that sprocket's teeth are smaller than those on the clutch. So the #41 chain can move somewhat from side-to-side on the big sprocket. (The 56-tooth rear sprocket is more similar in tooth size to the pedal-side sprockets on the bike.)

What are the implications of running the bike with this setup? Can I? Should I?

I'd greatly appreciate any help with this.
It ain't a pulley, it is a 10 tooth sprocket.

Hub mounted sprocket?
is that a manic mechanic hub adapter? and sprocket? or are
you using the rubber donuts?

the EZ Motorbike kit comes with a 56 tooth
cheap Chinese sprocket that are ~ 0.12" wide and the teeth
are badly formed. The chain will shape the teeth.

the Manic Mechanic sprockets are ~ 0.16" wide and
sized for 415 chain width of 3/16" between the side plates.

Moped sprockets that I have are ~ 0.18" wide and correctly
sized for 415 chain width of 3/16" between the side plates

41 chain width of 1/4" between the side plates and correctly
matches the MaxTorque clutch.

It will work ok....

What kind of exhaust are you running?
Check out my free to low cost steel flex exhaust idea.

PS: I just bought a wheel that came with a cheap EZM kit sprocket
on a Manic Mechanic hub adapter. The barely used sprocket is going to
take some file work to get it right.

Please post up some pics.

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I have a #41 from 2007 with well over 10,000 miles on it. First on my D Back Cruiser. Then I installed it on a Cranbrook, then my Rockhopper and now its on my Hard Rock.