Hey im new..need some help finding engine!

GoldenMotor.com

beachcruiserD

Aug 13, 2008
huntington beach, ca
whats up everybody!
my name is dave, and i have a good beach cruiser which i want to hook up with probably a nice 66cc 2stroke engine....
seems like there are little options out there, and ordering engines from the UK or China seems kinda shady and expensive*(at 200 bones + 50 shipping, before time and labor)!!
IDK much about this area, all i know is I WANT IN!!
i live with my girlfriend, and we used to carpool to work, until i got laid off...
now im going back to school for my degree, and could really use a motorized bicycle to get from point A-B.

So, my question is: where can i find a DECENT engine kit for my beach cruiser, which is not going to cost me more than $200?

I've seen some online on sites such as ebay for 120ish...but everytime i look at them, all i can notice is how cheesey the sites look....IDK, maybe im prejudice because i do a little web design on the side...?? But im no pro, and i can tell, that neither are most companies out there when it comes to web presentation!!

i would love to pick up a decent kit for around 120-150 if possible....
i know a 48cc would be great power to weight ratios compared to tomos mopeds i rode years ago, but honestly, with the minimal fuel consumption of these engines, i KNOW i would always be thinking-"what if i had 66cc's instead of 48?"

So you see, i love speed and performance, and so long as the engine has no markings, i have NO PROBLEM lying to a police officer if i happen to get stopped for any reason.

I've been through alot of legal bullshiznit in the past, and im to the point where i want to be legit, but if theres no way of telling that i have an additional 18ccs or so, i dont see why anyone would want 48....know what i mean?

IDk....please give me any feedback you have!!! i am a future rider in need!!
thanks all,
dave

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Welcome Dave,
There's a wealth of good info here. The old threads:confused: and posts are a good place to start. I'm still working on absorbing this stuff. My gut instinct is to get as much power as possible. Go for the gusto.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Most of the guys with the bike sites are mechanics not web designers. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on their website. I think most of the kits are pretty much the same no matter what they say in their adv. That is probably just my opinion but I have heard the same kinds of problems from most of the dealer's kits. Some are quicker to do the right thing but most good information is right here on this site.

beachcruiserD

Aug 13, 2008
huntington beach, ca
okay, my bad.....i dont mean to be too critical, as was my original impression.....
but in all seriousness, i need a decent displacement engine, and im looking to spend 150.
i can pick it up if its around the socal area, and try to save close to 50 bucks on shipping....
if nobody knows a socal dealer, then who or what website has anyone gone through and had positive results???
just trying to get the best value for my buck, and of course, not get ripped off in anyway possible.
so how about it everyone?
what engine kit has anybody purchased with good satisfaction?
Im all ears!
thanks,
dave

beachcruiserD

Aug 13, 2008
huntington beach, ca
im gonna look around the site some more.....haven't really given it a good amount of time to do so.... im just glad to find a forum for what im looking for, and i appreciate everybody's feedback
thanks guys,
dave

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
my kit came from boygofast. I think his kits are still more reasonable than some. The kit was no better or worse than any other I think.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Welcome to the forum Dave, glad you joined us.

Finding a kit from a dealer at $150.00 is going to be tuff. The price's of these motors has really jumped up in a short time due to the high demand.

:ride2:

jf30cp

Jun 23, 2008
welcome,
The best way to get an engine for 150 bucks or less is to bid on one on ebay. BoyGoFast sells them starting out as low like 50 bucks(starting bid) you might get lucky and win one at a very low price. Get the BoyGoFast 80cc.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Welcome to THE forum. Lying to a Police officer, Well I neverrotfl Don't lie to em' avoid em'. As far as a motor go's you get what you pay for. I vote thatsdax and Spookytooth for honest good people! And their members of the forum. All of our members are first rate. I would rather pay a few bucks more and know if theres a problem I can get help.

wolverine

Jul 29, 2008
Hello,
Just my 2 cents, I bought an 80cc from boygofast and haven't had any problems with it.I think my total came to $164 delivered. ( I know its not actually 80cc ) As for the bit about staying 49cc to be legal, just say its 49cc and don't go roaring past a cop over 25mph. You could even metal stamp 49cc on the case. Now my advise on the motorised bike,if you are not mechanically inclined,why not find a good used moped,these little bikes are far from reliable for those who don't like to tinker and accept breakdowns. Chains coming off,tires not holding up,studs coming out,brakes lacking stopping power,etc. Don't get me wrong, they are fun,but not if you aren't prepared to accept the limitations. I will likely get alot of nasty letters for saying this,but lets be honest. These are great for the right people and a disaster for people looking for low maintenance.There I said it, let the attacks begin, I've got broad shoulders and thick skin,so I can take it.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
He who speaks the truth can never be scorned. Almost anything is scarry when you are not familier with it. Stuff breaks, things go wrong. We ride because we love it. Sometimes it rains no matter what your riding. I ran out of gas yesterday and had to ride the bus home with the bike on front. My fault. No big deal. I may get your goat some day but only if it's funny:) Were all family here!