Rust Removal

GoldenMotor.com

fundreamer1

Dec 6, 2010
Oklahoma
I used a mixture of 50% White Vinegar and 50% lemon juice to remove the rust from my parts and this is without me scrubbing or even wiping the parts down at all!
The peddle crank was only treated on half, while the other side was not. The kickstand was only partially treated as well.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I am as impatient as all get go sometimes. I use muriatic acid. Very dangerous stuff and not to be taken lightly ether ! It can eat through your skin down to the bone! Cleans up metal right and thorough quick I tell yeah .

Muriatic Acid Rust Removal

Muriatic Acid Rust Removal | eHow.com

I get the stuff at the hardware store. Used this stuff to strip the firewalls of rust etc on old cars. Suggest reading up on this stuff before using it tho.

Last edited:

fundreamer1

Dec 6, 2010
Oklahoma
I am as impatient as all get go sometimes. I use muriatic acid. Very dangerous stuff and not to be taken lightly ether ! It can eat through your skin down to the bone! Cleans up metal right and thorough quick I tell yeah .

I get the stuff at the hardware store. Used this stuff to strip the firewalls of rust etc on old cars. Suggest reading up on this stuff before using it tho.
This stuff I use is not dangerous, after using you can pour it out on the ground. I also run water on it after wards as it smells, but it is biodegradable. I think I will leave the muriatic acid alone, (nasty stuff!)

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
An oldie but goodie trick is to use this stuff to clear out clogged plumbing. I have plastic pipe to my plumbing on the house so once in a while [blue moon]I will use it to make a drain drain more better.:) It is said that the stuff is bad on old still pipes [plumbing] I always got away with it tho. After the clog went away which happens usually immediately I would thoroughly rinse out the pipes.

I still see rust on them parts:p I here you tho

Can I Use Muriatic Acid to Unclog a Drain? | eHow.com
Good stuff:D

Hydrochloric acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Can be diluted too just add water.

fundreamer1

Dec 6, 2010
Oklahoma
I still see rust on them parts:p I here you tho
If you go back and read my description, you will that I said that I only dipped part of the peddle crank in the solution, that part has no rust on it. The part that was not dipped was so you could see the difference it made. (^)

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I miss interpreted that I see it now ''sorry''. For a sec I thought it was not working to its potential. Looks very good actually!!! Carry on....:oops:

yodar

Jul 26, 2010
Orlando Fl

Pickling a part in Muiratic is important first step prior to plating with copper, then Nickel or chrome

HOWEVER! iT CAN BE DONE ELECTRONICALLY.GOOGLE "electrolytic rust removal:

POUR A TEASPOONFUL OF BAKING SODA (OR WASHING SODA)IN A STURDY PLASTIC OR GLASS VESSEL.

1. Hook the negative 12V to the rusty part and

2. HOOK the positive to a steel bolt or a piece of steel chain immersed in the bath, making sure all is immersed.

The electrolytic process will plate out all your rustto the steel bolt/CHAIN anode.

I used a 12V DC CB power supply but a car battery will work too, even lantern batteries.

YODAR

Last edited:

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
My BIL uses the electrolysis method for cleaning old antique cast iron pots that he sells on e=bay

I have seen him take a decrepit $2 piece of rust and turn it into a new looking $100 kettle in a matter of hours
I have seen Yodar take a rusted shut pair of pliers and turn them into a usable tool

He uses a 55 gallon garbage can and liquid pool PH hooked up to a car battery charger

The by product is pure hydrogen, so smoking is a big no no

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Rusty chrome cleans up great with a small stainless steel brush. Stainless is softer than chrome, so it's kinda hard to scratch chrome with one.
Realy rusty places on chrome can be touched up with alumunum paint,the results makes the spot hardly noticable.

This bike was very rusty before I started the build. DSC_1332.JPG

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I have used both the lemon juice & vinegar and the battery charger method for years now.
Which method I choose depends on the size of the item to be cleaned and the amount of rust to be destroyed...umm...removed.

Both work awesome and both result is a nasty looking solutions that you can dump on the ground with no fear of polluting the environment. They are all natural and biodegradable.

I soak parts in the lemon-vinegar for a day or two. Same with the battery charger method.
A useful tip to help prevent overloading a battery charger: Incorporate about 10 feet of steel rebar wire or utility wire in series with the electrical circuit. It will put about a 3 amp load on the charger to prevent it from thinking there is a dead short and tripping the internal safety circuit breaker. The steel wire will get warm to the touch, but no where near hot. By the way, steel wire is a poor conductor of electricity and that's why it works so well in this application.

Last edited:

fundreamer1

Dec 6, 2010
Oklahoma
This is all great information from people that have been there and done that. I was wondering if there might be any other ideas or methods that anyone knows of or tried and tell of the results.
This is one of the important steps when dealing with an older bike and when people can show pics (like before and after) that would be great as well. What do you think is the better methods and why?
Just wondering.

yodar

Jul 26, 2010
Orlando Fl
This is all great information from people that have been there and done that. I was wondering if there might be any other ideas or methods that anyone knows of or tried and tell of the results.
This is one of the important steps when dealing with an older bike and when people can show pics (like before and after) that would be great as well. What do you think is the better methods and why?
Just wondering.
As a B.A.T.F.-Licensed C & R firearms collector, I don't have a long skinny vessel to electrolytically de-rust an ancient Mauser, so I squirt some Ballistol onto the piece. letter set overnight, then next day I go over it with 0000 steel wool. Then I solvent de-grease it with naptha so the piece can be re-blued or restored.

Ballsitol is an excellent penetrant, rust preventative and has been a staple in the Werhmacht since 1898. Krauts even used Ballsitol as an antiseptic for minor scrapes and some people took it internally. the stuff smells NASTY! but it works on rust, wood, restores old leather. VERY popular in the trade.

yodarDREADFUL!

fundreamer1

Dec 6, 2010
Oklahoma
As a B.A.T.F.-Licensed C & R firearms collector, I don't have a long skinny vessel to electrolytically de-rust an ancient Mauser, so I squirt some Ballistol onto the piece. letter set overnight, then next day I go over it with 0000 steel wool. Then I solvent de-grease it with naptha so the piece can be re-blued or restored.

Ballsitol is an excellent penetrant, rust preventative and has been a staple in the Werhmacht since 1898. Krauts even used Ballsitol as an antiseptic for minor scrapes and some people took it internally. the stuff smells NASTY! but it works on rust, wood, restores old leather. VERY popular in the trade.

yodarDREADFUL!
So how do you think it would do to help remove rust from old bicycle parts, and how much does it cost?