Long Rides Late at Night?

GoldenMotor.com
Nov 23, 2009
Lakeland, FL
Just wondering if anyone else goes for any long rides at night. Last night the moon was out and being the middle of the week, there was little traffic. I went out for about a 15-mile ride last night and got back around midnight. I rode over to the next closest town and rode the back roads through the orange groves. It was a nice ride.

And yes, I have a pretty good 12-volt headlight and taillight. Better than most bicycle lights in that it not only lets me be seen, but it lets me see what's in the road as well.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Evening rides are nice but they are something I only get to enjoy several months out of a year here in snow country. I don't care much for being cold but those summer evenings, a bright moon and a full tank of gas can be fun. Like you I have very good lights that show me where I'm going and what is ahead. That's a key feature for safety. I also like a quiet exhaust so I'm not an annoyance to folks out walking or setting on their porch enjoying their evenings too. Have fun, ride safe.
Tom

mr.charlie

Jul 27, 2010
tavares florida "lake county"
Just wondering if anyone else goes for any long rides at night. Last night the moon was out and being the middle of the week, there was little traffic. I went out for about a 15-mile ride last night and got back around midnight. I rode over to the next closest town and rode the back roads through the orange groves. It was a nice ride.

And yes, I have a pretty good 12-volt headlight and taillight. Better than most bicycle lights in that it not only lets me be seen, but it lets me see what's in the road as well.
did it last nite and tonite as well ...up here in Tavares, Lake Harris shore line...cooler air +denser air charge=better ride?.....Fool out on a Full Moon.....

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Oh man, that is heaven. Long ride, no cars. Bet it was awesome with the moon last night.

I really enjoy ridding around industrial areas in the early mornings just after sunrise. Few people or traffic.

Made me think of that old Twilight Zone episode. A man named some thing Bemis finally has time to do nothing but read. Every one else is gone. Then the poor Son Of a Bicyclist breaks his glasses. Me, I would run out of gas or some thing.

Found it! full episode. If you have never seen this, worth a watch. 26 mins though. Freaked me out as a kid! "A bookworm yearns for more time to read - then a nuclear holocaust leaves him alone in the world with lots of time, plenty to read and one ironic twist!" The Twilight Zone Video - Time Enough At Last - CBS.com

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Some of the best rides we have here are the long rides at night. NiteRider lights on our trusty 4-stroke steeds, stealty through the night and safer than the day....without daylight. Cheers!

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
ahhh i miss summer i felt like king of the road during night there were hardly any cars on the streets i could take the entire road those were the good old days well next summer is only 7 months away now i cant wait

i used to go on 40 mile adventures on the bike paths making a huge circle around town cause at night theres nobody on em to give you **** i would do this i really wanted to go in the day but man there are some haters out there

excitment of going wot down a windy trail without a light barely able to see in front of you is a that is a thrill but nowdays i got a flashlight and i recently made a bright red light for the rear so i down get run over

insomniacshotrods

Sep 26, 2008
Thats when i like to ride the best. All my friends and i ride at night but headlight and tail lights are a must. Very peaceful except for the buzz of my cut off exhaust.brnot