Who else always pedals?

GoldenMotor.com

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
When I was a kid going fast meant pedaling hard and I guess that is the way my brain works.

There are many books on how to bicycle fast. Right frame for your size and gearing and all.

Add an extra motor and something else happens.

When pedaling the motorized bicycle the human motor becomes one with the gas or electric motor. :)

usflg

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
I set up the gearing on my bike and it pedals pretty easy for a motor bike. I can extend my pedaling trips a lot farther than I used to just pedaling. Knowing when I'm all wore out I can fire it up amd ride back home with no effort.
buzzard

virginian

Dec 19, 2009
McLean VA
When I asked the question, I meant pedaling while the motor is running instead of pedaling without a motor.

I have tested how much pedaling adds to speed by getting to a constant speed on the flat and then stop pedaling and then start pedaling again. When I stop pedaling my speed drops within seconds and then increases when I start pedaling again.

I usually cruise at about 28-29 mph in the open road. At that speed normal pedaling adds only about 1 mph and hard pedaling (not sustainable for more than a few minutes) adds about 2 mph. That is not much, but as I said, I like to pedal.

But pedaling really helps on big hills. I tested one big hill hitting it at 35 mph at the bottom. I slowed to 13 mph at the top with no pedaling and 24 mph when I really hammered the pedals.

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
When I asked the question, I meant pedaling while the motor is running instead of pedaling without a motor.

I have tested how much pedaling adds to speed by getting to a constant speed on the flat and then stop pedaling and then start pedaling again. When I stop pedaling my speed drops within seconds and then increases when I start pedaling again.

I usually cruise at about 28-29 mph in the open road. At that speed normal pedaling adds only about 1 mph and hard pedaling (not sustainable for more than a few minutes) adds about 2 mph. That is not much, but as I said, I like to pedal.

But pedaling really helps on big hills. I tested one big hill hitting it at 35 mph at the bottom. I slowed to 13 mph at the top with no pedaling and 24 mph when I really hammered the pedals.
It's fun too !

I have always loved engines ! And I love teaming up with one like this !

The nearest connection a human can have with a motor, that I know of, is when pedaling a motorized bicycle !

I am still getting a handle on it. :)

usflg

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
What's your pedaling cadence at 30mph? (strokes per minute) and what gear are you running in? That's got to be some fast pedaling.
buzzard

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I take my bikes out that have no motor. I enjoy the silence and the work out the ride is nostalgic every time. That's where my old world began. No motor guaranties a work out.

virginian

Dec 19, 2009
McLean VA
What's your pedaling cadence at 30mph? (strokes per minute) and what gear are you running in? That's got to be some fast pedaling.
buzzard
My cadence at 30 mph is about 90 rpm. 80 rpm is optimal for a good cyclist, but 90 works if you don't have to apply a lot of pressure on the pedal. That's why I tend to keep speed just below 30 mph - which is really fast for a bike!

My chainwheel now has 48 teeth. I replaced the 42 teeth chainwheel that the bike originally came with. The freewheel has 11 teeth. I replaced the original 12 teeth freewheel. I constantly ride in the highest gear (48/11) except when starting from a full stop or going up a steep hill.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
My cadence at 30 mph is about 90 rpm. 80 rpm is optimal for a good cyclist, but 90 works if you don't have to apply a lot of pressure on the pedal. That's why I tend to keep speed just below 30 mph - which is really fast for a bike!

My chainwheel now has 48 teeth. I replaced the 42 teeth chainwheel that the bike originally came with. The freewheel has 11 teeth. I replaced the original 12 teeth freewheel. I constantly ride in the highest gear (48/11) except when starting from a full stop or going up a steep hill.
Try that with a single speed, thems what I ride. If I tried to pedal with the motor, my cadence would be about 200+ with my 36/16 gearing.....and that's the other reason I need not pedal!

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I used to be a real die-hard pedaler (I'm still anti-cager for the most part!) but then I moved to a flat state with mean winds that quickly humbled me and my 12 mile commute. That called for a motored Schwinn Cruiser Seven with a 52T front and 11T 7th gear. Drive sprocket on the HT66 was easily-changeable 34T Rocket Ring on custom mount. 30MPH with a useful sweatless cadence for me and a PDQ commute! I think a motored bicycle is truly optimum if the assist comes back around. You'll accelerate much quicker and get better fuel mileage from my experience. All about the gearing on both sides.

That said, not everyone is able to set their rides up that way. My new ride still needs work on that part. 16-17MPH top speed in 3rd gear!

klb6154

Jun 20, 2010
pittsburgh pa
ok im a large man 260 lbs w q 66 cc on a ten speep and in fifth gear on the steepest of hills i only help the motor @ about 75 rpms at the cranck @ the most never tried a harder gear cause my shifter is in a hard to reach[ when riding] position if my bike drops below 15 17 (mph estimated as i have no speedo yet) i have to help to keep it in the powerband but only on steep hills and little effort is required

Last edited:

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
I built this thing so that I wouldn't have to pedal. I'm a gear-head* not a bicyclist. Although I do have to help it out on steep hills.

*I'm a gear-head that loves working on anything but cars. Airplanes, motorbikes, DIY wind turbines, tractors, but NO CARS. ;)

Last edited:

K-dregg

Apr 20, 2010
Sweden
I dont flap my arms in a airplane or make swiming motions when in a boat and i do not pedal my Motorized bike either.:) I do a lot of regualar bike riding, both road and MTB.. so not having to pedal is a nice change..

EPlusGuy

Aug 30, 2010
Dulles, VA
I do either or both depending on my mood. Like virginian said, I too pedal to give that extra oomph at high speeds. Unlike some others who posted here, I don't usually use the pedals uphill -- that's when I like to sit back, relax, and let my electric bike do all the work for me :)

When I'm commuting, I tend to not pedal because I don't want to sweat. When I'm site-seeing or traveling, sometimes I like to do both because I'm usually going at a somewhat slow speed and pedaling slow isn't an added burden.
.trk