Is this goodbye?

GoldenMotor.com

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
Is this goodbye? I'm moving to San Fran, and its illegal there to ride a mb unless you have a drivers license... Uh-oh....maybe I'll have to wait 5 more years to get myb done.....
I dunno why I started this thread.. Just wanted to let y'all know I guess...

Sam

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I hope that it will not be a goodbye!
You can get into all kinds of MB fabricating mischief with 5 years to build one.... or a few!
Good luck and good fortune with your move, I will be a handful of hours south of you after you move. (30 minutes north of the southern border.)

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
You just need to hurry up and grow a mustache, get a fake ID, etc. Seriously, is it possible for you to ride one off road at least? There must be a way.
SB

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
Sam I for one feel it is totally unfair that these wonderful modes of transportation are outlawed in many states. I feel that this hobby is really growing to something larger than what it is. I hope just because the restrictions on your future MB riding does not deter you from partaking in the forum. You are a very knowledgeable individual who has had some valuable input on many occasions in various threads here. I would be sorry to see you go, but if you chose to leave us you will be missed. A friend of mine had a saying that I now pass on to you....You sir are both a gentleman and a scholar, may your wisdom last you long beyond your years.

Take care friend.

Douglas A. Goldner
Woodruff, Sc.

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
Oh no I would never leave! I mention goodbye to mbs. The only I can think of is just riding under 30 and wearig a DOT approved helmet. I don't think it will think cause the mother knows mbs are illegal and won't stand for her litttle cupcake to break the rules....
Sam

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
We all just have to try and change the laws if they are outlawed, contact congessmen, make your opinion heard, they are only illegal in most places because the gov't won't make money, or at least "enough money" for it to be something they want. Yes that really is just about all the gov't cares about anymore.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
We all just have to try and change the laws if they are outlawed, contact congessmen, make your opinion heard, they are only illegal in most places because the gov't won't make money, or at least "enough money" for it to be something they want. Yes that really is just about all the gov't cares about anymore.
AMEN.....! to that.

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
You are on to somhig! =D I'm going to go ahead an start small, maybe talk to the mayor. If I can get him on my side, that might help when I go to the senator. How about some petitions, eh?
Sam

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
good luck. the problem isn't that they're illegal, it's that they're a motor vehicle. in order to change the driving age, you'd have to include mopeds, small scooters, etc.

and there's no way they're gonna let 11 year old kids on the streets with a motorized vehicle.

sucks, but that's the way it is...

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
good luck. the problem isn't that they're illegal, it's that they're a motor vehicle. in order to change the driving age, you'd have to include mopeds, small scooters, etc.

and there's no way they're gonna let 11 year old kids on the streets with a motorized vehicle.

But?! Wouldn't he possibly get it in under Moped or I mean Moped stands for Motor & Pedal. Then a moped license wouldn't be out of the question.

Is there a way to title these?

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
It's true age may be an issue with that. However you can get these legalized in a lot more places than one may think. It requires a lot of foot and paperwork, but you can get a certificate of origin for any type of motor vehicle you make as long as it's not slated for sale to John Q public.

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA

Your right :(

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
y'know i'm not trying to stomp on your dreams, right sam? just giving you the cold hard truth...

BUT, i was thinking, if you built a mountain bike, or a trail bike or something, you might be able to register it as an off-highway vehicle (OHV) and ride it wherever people ride atv's and motorcycles. i didn't see anything banning bikes, except for one thing banning pocketbikes.

it also looks like you could legally register the bike for on-road use (see the "real deal on california laws" thread i posted) and then just pay a fee for off-road use.

i know this ain't the best solution, but at least you could have some "weekend-fun..." ;)

here's a couple links to check out:

California State ATV Information

then check this out and scroll down to "Registration requirements for a specially constructed OHV:" How To Register an Off-Highway Vehicle

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
y'know i'm not trying to stomp on your dreams, right sam? just giving you the cold hard truth...

BUT, i was thinking, if you built a mountain bike, or a trail bike or something, you might be able to register it as an off-highway vehicle (OHV) and ride it wherever people ride atv's and motorcycles. i didn't see anything banning bikes, except for one thing banning pocketbikes.

it also looks like you could legally register the bike for on-road use (see the "real deal on california laws" thread i posted) and then just pay a fee for off-road use.

i know this ain't the best solution, but at least you could have some "weekend-fun..." ;)

here's a couple links to check out:

California State ATV Information

then check this out and scroll down to "Registration requirements for a specially constructed OHV:" How To Register an Off-Highway Vehicle
i know your not trying to stop my dreams, plus id rather know the truth.
I read about OHVs.. sounds like a start. Thank you so much for finding those sites, they have some god info!

Sam

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
To register an OHV that was specially constructed, you will need:

* Application for Title or Registration (REG 343).
* A vehicle verification done by the California Highway Patrol (CHP). You must start your application process with the DMV prior to contacting the CHP for vehicle verification.
* Statement of Construction (REG 5036).
* Proof of ownership, such as invoices, receipts, manufacturer’s certificates of origin, bills of sale, or junk receipts for the major component parts (engine, frame, transmission, and body).

NOTE: A motor vehicle bond is required for the total value of the vehicle when proof of ownership cannot be obtained for parts valued at $5,000 or more.
* Off Highway Vehicle fees and use tax, if due.
* Visit your local DMV office to begin the application process; make an Appointment(s) for faster service.

NOTE: An OHV built by a licensed manufacturer cannot be registered as a specially constructed vehicle, regardless of after-market modifications or added components.
I dont see anything on age.. just on the application you need a license number or ID number. I take it that means i cant register it under ME. Maybe the mother can.....

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
Specially Constructed Vehicle

580. A "specially constructed vehicle" is a vehicle which is built for private use, not for resale, and is not constructed by a licensed manufacturer or remanufacturer. A specially constructed vehicle may be built from (1) a kit; (2) new or used, or a combination of new and used, parts; or (3) a vehicle reported for dismantling, as required by Section 5500 or 11520, which, when reconstructed, does not resemble the original make of the vehicle dismantled. A specially constructed vehicle is not a vehicle which has been repaired or restored to its original design by replacing parts.

Amended Ch. 1286, Stats. 1983. Effective January 1, 1984.
Hmmm... Im not a licensed manufacturer.... just doing research...

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/spcnsreg.html

it says you need brake and light inspections, or a auto shop can verify that their OK. I wonder if this applies to a MB...

Official brake and light adjustment certificates. When an official brake and light station that inspects specific vehicles such as motorcycles and large commercial vehicles is not located within a reasonable distance, DMV will accept a Statement of Facts (REG 256) from a repair shop attesting that the brakes and lights are in proper working order. Brake and light certificates are not required for off-highway vehicles or trailers weighing less than 3,000 pounds gross vehicle weight.