My Build Plans: Bike, Motor and Gears

GoldenMotor.com

twowheeledfox

Oct 21, 2009
Houston TX
I'm not new to motorbiking or motorcycling, but this will be my first full self-built motorbike. Bought an old Kawi trailbike as a DD and discovered it needed some work-- while performing a full restoration I need something to ride that doesn't need a licence is easy on gas etc.

So, performance requirements are:

-Headlight
-Brake light/taillight (must be switch activated or bar controllable)
-Centre-mount Chinese 80cc smoker, preferabley slanthead
-Jackshaft kit on 5 or more speed cassette
-Cruising speed of 40mph and top speed of 45-50. (I have gone up to 50 on other motorbicycles so I know how to handle speed).

Some questions- is it possible to mount an HT on a bike with rear suspension (in my case still a V-frame, just a rear monoshock) with a jackshaft kit and not have the chain tense or bottom out? It seems to make sense (as I can pedal it just fine and all the jackshaft does is send power to pedals>freewheel>rear wheel. Want to make sure before I spend a bunch of money though.

What is the best thing to buy (ebay) for the lighting setup that I need? Battery, friction, or white-wire powered? And where could I find a brake light with a switch (bar or lever mounted).

Finally I tune smokers occaisionally, so if I'm able to get decent (5-6) hp out of this HT as I've done with previous ones, could I get to 50mph? Don't care if the engine is screaming at that speed because that isn't my cruising speed; I need it to get to 40 and cruise smoothly as that's my average commuting speed.

Thanks for your help.

-fox

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
how does a motor bike go 50? someone please tell me.. I have a Honda ns 50 it weighs 130 lbs plus me 150 it has 14 .3 hp at the rear wheel 6 gears and it only does 55 on flat ground and 65 down a slight hill somebody pls explain btw the ns is ported and has a 24mm mikuni flat

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
what brand of motor do you want? my buddy justin at pirate cycles has any grubee you want and the jet's I highly recommend the jet 80 it has gobs and gobs of torque and personally pk has the best kits nice sprocket nice instruction book not that many people care nice mounting hdw and great packaging for shipping purposes.. the best lights are home made easilly powered with a 7.2 6 cell rc pack