Intake

GoldenMotor.com

AnthonyX99

Oct 13, 2009
Winnipeg
Hey guys/girls I new here and just finished my first motorized bike a few weeks ago and I'm wondering if it's ok to set the plastic intake pipes upward would there be a performance increase and act like a cold air intake or not also would it run good in the rain thanks..wee.

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
If your talking about those things that look like pipes on the carb keep them facing down and I do know that some riders ride all year round rain snow or whatever. Some waterproofing would be required.

Foximus

Sep 28, 2009
Orlando
Not really sure you will gain a noticable gain of power from changing your flame arrestor. As for flipping it upside down, you will just be changing the direction it shoots recharged gas. Up or down.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
The air filter cover on all my bikes has to be installed with the 4 tubes up in order to fit. Orientation makes no difference in power. Removing it completely does add 1-2mph to the top speed.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Bear in mind the sand and lil bits of gravel that would love to check out the inside of your cylinder o.o

These "air filters" may not be the best in the world but they at least try to help keep the bigger chunks out. As they are really only a "filter" in the loosest sense of the word - removing them wouldn't really do anything to improve flow noticeably unless they were so gummed up with filth they actually managed to restrict.

In which case you should not only just clean the thing, it's evidence of how some sort of filter is actually needful.

Even if you don't play on trails - roads themselves are obviously covered in sand and grit. The rear tire is positioned perfectly for throwing all sortsa crap right at the intake, which is happily drawing in as much as it can. Even with the stock filter & cover in place I would have water in my float bowl after a ride on wet roads - let alone in the rain.

Given I can hold up the stock filter sponge and actually see through the holes easily enough to read this post (yar - I just tried it lol) I daresay that any perceived "performance gain" from removing it entirely would unfortunately be either coincidence and/or a placebo effect. When I constructed my remote airbox with a real sponge filter I was very concerned with potential performance loss and inadvertently enriching the mix - so I paid very close attention to before and after via GPS and plug coloration.

There was NO perceivable change (other than it being significantly quieter lol).

The stock cover itself (the black plastic one, not the louvered chrome one) may be a touch restrictive - that's easy enough to fix by making the three tubes into one hole with a drill/dremel/whatever.

In all seriousness - I wouldn't run without a filter, it's just begging for trouble. Even if there was a performance gain you'd loose it quickly enough as your piston rings, cylinder, and piston itself were ground down to chipped, scoured nothingness. ONE tiny bit of quartz gravel will happily kill your compression.

Last edited:

AnthonyX99

Oct 13, 2009
Winnipeg
I seen on another thread about ram air induction wouldn't that be better just use a cone filter with it or would lean the gas???

AnthonyX99

Oct 13, 2009
Winnipeg
I know this is off topic but do you guys know whats a good gasket for the muffler would a pocket bike gasket work. The gasket that came with the kit is garbage and would it make it a little more quiet on idle not that popping sound all the time?

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Given I can hold up the stock filter sponge and actually see through the holes easily enough to read this post (yar - I just tried it lol) I daresay that any perceived "performance gain" from removing it entirely would unfortunately be either coincidence and/or a placebo effect.
Removing the cover buys a reliable 1-2mph but removing the foam after that does nothing. For some reason with the new SBP pipe my motor bogs with just the foam (pic) but runs great with foam&cover installed or no foam&cover at all.

Apparently tuned pipes need tuned intakes.

Attachments

Last edited:

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
Even if you don't play on trails - roads themselves are obviously covered in sand and grit. The rear tire is positioned perfectly for throwing all sortsa crap right at the intake, which is happily drawing in as much as it can. Even with the stock filter & cover in place I would have water in my float bowl after a ride on wet roads - let alone in the rain.

Good thing that rear wheel travels the direction it does.dnut

Foximus

Sep 28, 2009
Orlando
Removing the cover buys a reliable 1-2mph but removing the foam after that does nothing. For some reason with the new SBP pipe my motor bogs with just the foam (pic) but runs great with foam&cover installed or no foam&cover at all.

Apparently tuned pipes need tuned intakes.

A tuned intake is incredibly important on a piston port motor. It uses the inertia of air to act as a valve.

Foximus

Sep 28, 2009
Orlando
means it uses the piston to close the valve, while most reed induction motors have the intake open for 360* or use crankcase induction.