RANT! flat tires

GoldenMotor.com

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
OK Ive had 2 flats in a week and it sucks, up until now Ive just been using a reg tube and a tire thats about 60% worn due to the friction rollar. I live about a mile up a hill from my usual route and walking that bike up that hill just RUINS MY DAY. So Im going to war with road debri and decided to Fight back, I just ordered 2 new tires plus 2 thorn proof tubes plus 2 nomore flats tire liners. Bringing out the the heavy artillery now............Im going to win this battle!

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az
if i could put my two cents go for solid ruber tube i had mine for about three months and that stops all of my flat tires i got mine at walmart mke sure you have plenty of soap and water

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
Tell me more about the hard tubes.Do they feel like a regular tube when riding?And whts the deal with soap and water?

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Tell me more about the hard tubes.Do they feel like a regular tube when riding?And whts the deal with soap and water?
I tried foam solid tires and it felt like riding with a flat all the time. Tricky if you hit the divider stripes in the road too. The soap is because they are almost impossible to get on the rim otherwise.

Ultimate solution was thorn proof tubes and putting old tubes with valve cut off between the new one and the tire. 4 years no flats.

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
That stuff costs more than the engine LOL.

Wally world No more flats 4 me.
Just don't lean into a turn !!!
I have bought and tried the foam solid tubes from wal-mart and they roll to much....Like you said in a turn....The only way I got those to work was put a 1.75 wide tire and it was a super tight fit,fixed the roll problem,but when I went to take the tire off,I ended up having to cut the rims just to get them off(I bought a new set of rims 2.125 heavy spoke)I was going to throw the old factory rims away anyways(broken spokes and bent rims,cheap factory rims)....These tubless tires are the best....You can use your regular tube tires and turn them into tubless....

bseelbach

Jul 19, 2009
USA
I used to experience a lot of lats on the inside of the tube from the spoke nipples.
On all of my bikes (motor and pedal), I have had good luck wrapping the rim 2x with either electrical tape or 1/2" fabric medical tape. Couple that with a good tube and tire liners and you should be good. Geez- I hope I didn't just jinx myself!

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
I used to experience a lot of lats on the inside of the tube from the spoke nipples.
On all of my bikes (motor and pedal), I have had good luck wrapping the rim 2x with either electrical tape or 1/2" fabric medical tape. Couple that with a good tube and tire liners and you should be good. Geez- I hope I didn't just jinx myself!
The electrical tape does help greatly if your using tubes,but I have used tube liners in my bikes and still nails,screws and other debree on the road has gone right through them....If your going to use a tube,go with the glime super thick 10.00 tubes at wal-mart....They help from having a instant blowout and end up with road rash,when they gets puntured they are so thick that they dont blow out,they just go flat slowly....
John-John

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Those slime tubes I have actually heard some bad stuff about them on motorized bikes. A motorized bike makes your tire get much hotter. This in turn can actually cause the slime to expand so much that it blows out the tire. This is a theory of course but a front tire blow out on a motorized bike can kill you. Buyer beware

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
Those slime tubes I have actually heard some bad stuff about them on motorized bikes. A motorized bike makes your tire get much hotter. This in turn can actually cause the slime to expand so much that it blows out the tire. This is a theory of course but a front tire blow out on a motorized bike can kill you. Buyer beware
I have driven with the thick slime 10.00 tubes for over 3 years and have never had one problem,on the other hand when I had the regular thin tubes (no slime in them)I had a blowout on the back tire going about 12 mph and I was all over the road....The slime tires have saved me many a time,also the slime in the tires balances the wheel when it gets spinning(read about it awile back and was suprised the find that out)....
John-Johndnut

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
LOL! Where do you guys come up with this stuff...

realdigga

Jul 12, 2009
Australia
i had a slime tube explode right through the tyre on me at about 40km, i held it together as it was the rear, only had 100 odd kms on it. the whole bike and me got covered in green slime, it wasnt pretty, better slime than blood though!!!

Sydneysider

Mar 20, 2009
Sydney
been riding with slime in thorn resistant tubes over 2 years.. have hit speeds of about 42kms and not a prob. It probably also depends on the tyre, Ive been using the Serfas Drifter 26 x 2.0 tyres they got a Kevlar lining which also protects against sharp objects.. probably also helps in keeping the tyre together at high speed xct2 but yeah no flats or blowouts whatsoever

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
There have been threads about the slime tube on here before thats where.
But any link to one exploding because of slime?

I have some background in physics and can assure you it's impossible with regular tube let alone thorn proof.

When I switched to goo the flats went from 5-6/yr to 1-2. Specially effective for slow leaks. Now, with thorn proof lined with old tube, 4yrs no flat. IFAIK the only drawback to slime is the mess if you ever do get a puncture. That and stuck valve.