Indiana's possible new motor bicycle laws

GoldenMotor.com

birdmannn101

Oct 23, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
racie35, If your engine is less than 5 brake HP then you have to look and see what size it is to determine which class your bike is in. 50cc or more your in class A and less than 50cc your in class B which is the better deal.

birdmannn101

Oct 23, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
If it is over 50cc then you have to have the following:

1. Valid drivers license with MDC-A endorsement (take a written test) or valid motorcycle license.
2. Insurance

Then they will give you a valid plate.

apex

Aug 27, 2013
indy
If it is over 50cc then you have to have the following:

1. Valid drivers license with MDC-A endorsement (take a written test) or valid motorcycle license.
2. Insurance

Then they will give you a valid plate.
As I understand it, it will also need
a DRL headlight
Taillight with brakelight feature
Front and rear turnsignals
All of which legally has to be DOT certified lighting.
Of course all that is subject to the officer that inspects the motorcycle.

birdmannn101

Oct 23, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
Apex, According to BMV your right about the headlight, tailight, brake light and turn signals but I never saw "DOT approved" anywhere in the text.

Glennbo, Man that is one nice set up with those K-1 forks. Wonder how they are charging the battery under the seat?

apex

Aug 27, 2013
indy
Its not in the text but its a motorcycle at this point, subject to the same regulations.
I have seen it in the sport bike community. Fender eliminator kits and tiny tail ligjts with integrated turn signals are not legal. Both for lack of indicator seperation and lack of DOT certificaton. A DOT certified light/signal will have a DOT stamp moulded into lens. Any officer that wants to pull you over or tow you knows this, and will use it as a last resort if he wishes.

Of course these are extreme cases, but ive witnessed it myself, and been pulled iver myself for this.
All UlIm saying is, in the strictest interpretation, DOT equipment will be required, just like every motorcycle/scooter.

apex

Aug 27, 2013
indy
Its not in the text but its a motorcycle at this point, subject to the same regulations.
I have seen it in the sport bike community. Fender eliminator kits and tiny tail ligjts with integrated turn signals are not legal. Both for lack of indicator seperation and lack of DOT certificaton. A DOT certified light/signal will have a DOT stamp moulded into lens/housing. Any officer that wants to pull you over or tow you knows this, and will use it as a last resort if he wishes.

Of course these are extreme cases, but ive witnessed it myself, and been pulled iver myself for this.
All Im saying is, in the strictest interpretation, DOT equipment will be required, just like every motorcycle/scooter.

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
Hi all

i was setting here thinking and it hit me, i have not seen anything about electric bicycle in there new laws?
and some of them e bike builds are fast?

anyone seen anything on e-bikes

i have a nice Schwinn full suspension disc brake front and rear.

there might be a loop hole here.

Don P

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
Well it Been 2 full months now and the world has not come an end.
do to the new law scooter prices have fallen for new and used.

2 years ago VIP scooters were $795.00 here today on sale $499.

but if you are a scooter driver time's can be good. less scooters being stolen now. scooters with a checkered or unknown past are not being licensed. you can buy parts cheap.

Don P

Last edited: