Wheelchair wheels/axle

GoldenMotor.com

HackD

Oct 25, 2014
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Potentially a very stupid question to ask - I am basically unfamiliar with the nuances of bike/trike/tadpole setup and design..

At work, i am the Resident facility scavenger. If it ain't nailed down or bolted to a wall, and it appears to be heading for the garbage tip, I have first plunder rights.

One of those items, a number of years ago, was a fairly poor condition adult sports wheelchair. It was deemed beyond rebuild/salvage - so I kept the mildly bent up wheels, and the modular axles from it.

Would these have the potential for incorporation into the front end of a lighter weight tadpole trike variant - or would this sort of basic setup, be far too lightweight/prone to failure to consider?

Thanks for any advice..

EDIT:

Aw crap .. in hind-sight, opportunity lost! 24 hours after original post, i suddenly thought to myself in a somewhat altered, post-work state, "Self.. you should have kept that whole chair framework, bends, rust, ripped fabric and all" .. could well have made for the ultimate "Grandpa from Heck" motorized stretched-wheelchair project, going! Bar-stool racers are so 2010!

Last edited: