Specifically Where to Use Blue Loctite?

GoldenMotor.com

LBurdick43

Aug 10, 2016
Pennsylvania
I'm going to be building my first motorized bike soon, and have heard this stuff works wonders. I'm just completely unaware of which bolts to use it on. Also, any other suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I don't use loctite on anything - loosening nuts are due to bolts and studs stretching - one needs to keep tightening as they stretch over the first few weeks.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
I'm with Crassius, after any install/maintenance, I'll routinely check on the tightness of recently reinstalled nuts...two, maybe three times, each inspection after a couple of rides. The nuts'll eventually get to a quiescent point where they're settled in and you won't have to worry about them again until the next time you loosen them. This goes for the head-nuts as well; all that vibration and heating/cooling cycling has a tendency to loosen things up at first.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
PS: LocTite's GREAT when applied properly, but can be a real PITA when you need to remove nuts. You're gonna regret putting it on the rag-joint fastener threads once you need to remove a sprocket to replace broken spokes!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Blue can be used safely on any fastener you feel might be subject to loosening due to vibration. What you NEVER want to do is use the red, or permanent type on anything that you might want to take apart in the future. Permanent means permanent. You'll need to apply heat to break it loose and sometimes more heat than the surrounding area will tolerate.

I'm not a fan of thread locking compounds and don't use it on my bikes. But if you feel it necessary , go for it but never ever use the red stuff.

Tom