BGF Hongdu/Solex

GoldenMotor.com

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thats pretty funny on the hook. I went to bed before the post with the hook circled. I was laying there thinking about it and it dawned on me that it mounted to the stem. Thanks for clarifing that. There was one more mystery part that I believe had something to do with supporting the exhaust. Doesnt matter as the muffler support bracket lines up perfectly with the fender stay, and is mounted there. I bought a used Solex clutch assembly to see if I can fit it to the Hongdu, I dont see why not. I am quite sure this is the same basic engine fitted to the Black-n-roll. Maybe they delete the clutch for the domestic market. Notice on the website the S48 moped makes slightly more power and speed, than the Velosolex clone. I have bought a rough but restorable Velosolex rolling frame and another Hongdu to build My own interpretation of a Velo, should be close.

Zman

Sep 10, 2010
germany
I don't know about the chinese Solex engine, but the original french Solex has a centrifugal clutch, so you don't have the motor to raise at a stop.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Here is a pic of the hook installed. I had to cut it in half and lengthen it to offset the fact that the clamps and mounting bars move the engine further out than it would be on a Velo. I used what I think was an exhaust mount that came with it. It was slotted on one end. I cut and used the slot. Had to drill one hole and come up with some minor hardware. The advantage is the hook is now adjustable to get it right where it needs to be. Sorry about the pic quality.

Attachments

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Got the second H/Solex today. Its the same but different. Slightly better workmanship than the first. The compression release is much better, and the tank doesnt have a ding! Am planing on pulling it apart as soon as the used solex clutch arrives to see if it can be added. The drum is already in the engine as it is. This one has a sticker in Chinese indicating 20:1 break-in and 25:1 after. No wonder there is so much smog over there! My current one is running 50:1.

mopedjay

Feb 19, 2011
Haverhill Ma
il be running 40:1 with old used veggie oil

thats all i been running in my mopeds for the last couple years and they always run great and smell so nice

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
My daughter ran an old Volvo diesel on veggie oil until she sold it. Had no problems. The first diesels I have learned ran on vegtable oil, because fossil oil wasnt really available. You dont have any problems with seperation?

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
got mine the other day. now for the hard part, deciding what kind of bike to put it on.
over all it looks prety good, the welds on the gas tank could look nicer but, hey, it's china right.
the carb and engine look the same as my solex, theres a stub of a front fender painted red.
been looking at bikes on line for two days, to bad the cadilac bike went up to 350 bucks, was thinking about using it. would like to use a step through with large tube so it would have a moped look to it.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
So far as I can tell it is the same as the Solex parts wise. I plan to dress the second one up a bit, by cleaning and filling the tanks welds a bit. The paint on the tank will come off with a gas spill so it needs redoing any way. I bought a original Solex carb used to experiment with. I read where they can be bored to 7mm for a little increase. I discovered it is designed to idle a little faster, presumably for the auto clutch. The barrell doesnt close as much as the Hongdu. Ran great otherwise. I have to say this has been one of the better Chinese engines(2 stroke) as far as running good out of the box and leaving me alone with problems. Picking the type of bike for one of these is fun. Will fit just about anything, but the retro styles look the best. I have even seen one of these mounted on the rear. The clamps are best suited to round fork tubes but I imagine can easily be reshaped to the older style oval forks. It just barely fits a balloon tire, requires careful centering but it works. Might be happier on a middleweight.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
There is in fact a clutch in this engine. By prying around on the various parts it seems to be ok as far as assembly. I dont know what the deal is with the first engine. I operates as direct drive. I havent pulled it down to see. At least there is a possibility fo clutch operation with these units.

Attachments

mopedjay

Feb 19, 2011
Haverhill Ma
yeah my friend rustico ray bought one today so they have one left

i hope they are gettin more in cause i wont be able to order one till next week