Considering a set of Monark forks...

GoldenMotor.com
Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Anybody here using them? How do you like them, more importantly, how are they holding up, as in how many miles per failure? I've been thinking about them for a while now, as they would also simplify front disk conversion. That being said, what front break set up are you running, and what would you recommend?

Northern Arizona is all rough pavement, and at 50 miles a stretch, it gets old quick. I know the quirks of springer front ends on motorcycles, I can't imagine a motorbike being to different, and as long as it helps take some of the bite out, I'm happy. Any give is better than my rigid forks, are the monarks going to withstand the abuse?

I've looked at Sportsman Flyer's springer fork, is it really worth the extra money? It doesn't look any better made, does it ride better? Some photos are hard to see on my phone, but it's all the interweb I've got, it's also not the same as handling the product, if y'all could help me out I'd be obliged.

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Is that link correct, MotoMagz? The price said $75?!? I found a picture of the sunlite forks next to a set of the monark repos and they are way more substantial, positively massive looking! Anybody else use those?

I called them but it slipped my mind to double check the price, obviously I will later on. What I did learn, was that they measure a touch over 25 inches from axle to gooseneck. Now the fella I spoke with had to go measure it for me, I can only hope he was measuring from axle to bottom of the gooseneck, like I asked. If that's the case, my forks measure 15", meaning a substantial lift to the front end. I had hoped to do this anyway, although to a lesser extent, however, I wouldn't mind ten extra inches, as tall as I am, that could greatly improve the comfort of my riding position.

Motomagz, can you stretch a tape from your front hub nut, to the bottom of your gooseneck for me? This would help me get a better idea of change in stance to the bike. If the guy misunderstood me, and measured to the top of the gooseneck, that's fine, I would just like a better sense of the dimensions when applied to my mountain bike frame. As I understand it, most folks using these, are on cruiser type bikes, MTBs have a different rake up front, so length of fork has substantially more affect on ride height, so much so, that I may have to find a fabricator for a new intake, to level out the carburetor.

Its a done deal, I like the build quality, I just need a little more info.

Last edited:

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
As I said I Had these forks...I only switched forks for a leaf,spring fork. Depending on the fork if it is threaded or thread less you can use spacers with thread less to change how front of fork sits. Remember the front of the fork moves up or down to the size of head tube. Sa small head tube will make the front of fork and wheel go down and push up front end. If it is a large head tube front of fork will go up along with wheel changing ride height. That's all I got!

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
I have a set from Phantom. They are the real deal. Maybe not as stout as SCP's ones but he's nutty and does land speed records at Bonneville with his. :) Check out Venice motor bikes for disk brake adapters if thats what your after. Otherwise mine came from Phantom with a welded on retainer for a S/A drum brake torque arm. Really handy. Post 62 and 63. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=58551&page=7

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Velodrome, can I get you to take that measurement? Axle to bottom of gooseneck, then I'll have an idea of any change in stance to the bike.
Hey Northren 'Zonie, any springier fork is junk for our terrain, besides being weak they provide little actual suspension, they are mostly for looks.

I like real suspension forks with both V-brake and Disc brake mounts.

Style of course is builders choice, but as far as shock function these are the best and only in ~$100 range.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Measurment is ~17-17 1/2 inches bottom of axle nut to bottom of steer tube. The suspension action is just fine even with my fat a$$ on it. I'm over 275 but thats on city streets. If you planing to single track up and down the rim KC has a point.

Attachments

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Don't think you'll get me to switch over to shock tube forks. I know they're infinitely adjustable and all that, but they're ugly and I've never cared for how they ride. As for running up or down the rim, did it on rigid forks, a springer should be nice. If they don't seem to hold up well, they'll become the pattern for a set constructed of premium material, by a local certified welder.

Most of the racers running them are probably abusing them more than I will, and I'm not particularly heavy. If I just can't stand the way they ride, they'll look great on my '63 Schwinn American. Some things I just have to learn the hard way, maybe this is one of them. I'm dead set on springers, although I wasn't sure of manufacturing quality of different makes.

I do appreciate the advice of fellow Arizonans, and all the other folks who weighed in. Double thanks Velodrome, from the ~17 inch measurement you supplied I can tell already the ride height won't change much, I wonder where dude got 25? He must have gone to the top of the handlebars...
Thanks also for the patience with my rambling posts, I'm not getting much sleep, and a lot of work, making this Kaveman a total zombie....

Kustomized Hypnosis

Mar 17, 2016
Boulder, CO
KCvale, as a side note, not to hijack the thread, what kind of frame is that green one?

Edit: I just went to your website and I think I answered my own question...it looks like a Skyhawk GT2A-150.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
As a side note possibly encouraging thread drift, those are beautiful bikes KC! I see a few that scream for springs up front in my opinion...

When riding full size motorcycles, my preference through experience is for springer type forks. My shadow was quickly sold due to the sensation provided by a shock tube fork. I had both forks rebuilt twice, thinking a damaged unit or faulty mechanical issue.... Turns out, I just prefer the ride of a springer, rode my triumph, my sportster and an Indian basket case into the ground. I'm aware of handling quirks like bunny hopping under heavy front brakeing, and other load situations which can allow a harmonic rhythm to build in the springs.

I've learned many times, that these little machines are not motorcycles, perhaps this will be another of those lessons.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Just thought i would stick my 2 cents in, 55+ years ago i had a monark twin factory motor bike. ( cry) as a kid i road the snot out of it. Road it in soft sand and jacked knifed it bent the fork beyond riding. ( put in a regular one ) My dad took it and had it pressed straight, road it another year or so, till the rod bolt come lose and the end. But i loved that and the ride, no fun with the straight fork...................Curt

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
As a side note possibly encouraging thread drift, those are beautiful bikes KC!
I see a few that scream for springs up front in my opinion...
Thanks for the kudos, I enjoy my work ;-}
Ya, springers look cool, and these Sunlite's actually do a pretty good job.

The gas tank frames are the new genuine Skyhawk GT2-150 frames with a rear disc mount and wider frame to fit larger tires.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
KC, you have a sweet job man, and you do beautiful work! Those springer forks sure look good, tie it all together. Can you comment on size of the skyhawk frame? I'm tall and lanky, something I can stretch our on would be nice, and I no longer own a welder.

Curt, feel free to comment on all and any of my posts. I respect and value your opinions and anecdotes, and am greatful to learn from you, KCVale, 2Door, and so many other knowledgeable folks on this forum.

I'll be picking up the Phantom Bikes springer when money comes in. First, I have an electrical issue, lost spark the other day, either mag or CDI, not much to our little China Girls.

Can anybody point me in the direction of a better clutch lever than the push button type available through Dax? The same lever came with my SD Stinger kit, and frankly, it's junk, once the little washer pops off the bottom of the button, it's dang near useless. Price is not an issue here, I almost ate the handlebars the other day, while fiddling with that ruined button. Lesson learned.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
KC, you have a sweet job man, and you do beautiful work!
There is nothing like creating your own job.
In a sea of junk builds I work on other end of the spectrum.

The people with money that actually want something simple and reliable for transportation and not a hobby they have to constantly dick with, that still looks cool too ;-}

First, I have an electrical issue, lost spark the other day, either mag or CDI, not much to our little China Girls.
This is my procedure.
http://kcsbikes.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=623

hawaii_87

San Diego's Master Ride Organizer
May 17, 2011
San Diego
All Phantom has is 1 inch thread less. Were selling them super cheap because we are getting rid of them. Get em while you can.