Zeds Dead-Rat Chopper

GoldenMotor.com

jehrbear

Jun 8, 2012
Missouri
Thought i'd start a post on my build. It's could fall under the category of Rat or Chopper, definately both.

I had this 74-ish Schwinn, and tried to sell it on Craigs.

Had 2 people pass on the sale at 25 bucks...threw it back in the garage, and decided to go ahead with a project I had in mind.

jehrbear

Jun 8, 2012
Missouri
Inspiration came, I think, because my regular mountain style bike was killing my back. I wanted to have something that sat more upright and comfortable. I came accross some pics of the the mountain lion (google mountain lion chopper bike). Somewhere along the line motorizing this thing also became a goal.

Ergonomics on this thing turned out accidentally perfect. I sit very upright and don't have to reach out at all. Learned all about rake and trail AFTER i put it together, so I have some minor adjustments to make some day, and some areas of the frame will need to be beefed up once the motor is added.

Big fan of Pulp Fiction the movie, so i ordered "Zed's Dead" decals for the gas tank. They arrived Yesterday.

More pics and build progress to come.....

jehrbear

Jun 8, 2012
Missouri
Little progress today, graphics on the tank. I didn't like how shiney it was, so the tank was treated to some matte black first:

Rear sprocket assembled. Not sure how much adjusting will be needed, all I know is that I had to stretch bang and beat it on to get all 3 spacers on the back side to line up right. It's either expected, by design, or "what I get" for buying the cheapest possible kit :).

Motor also set in place and finger tight. I can see an early indian or harley style gas tank in this bikes future, plenty of room for it above the engine.

Back's tired, gotta run, so this will be all the progress for today.

jehrbear

Jun 8, 2012
Missouri
Maiden voyage complete. I've taken it on about 4 or 5 short break in trips. First time out the tensioner loosened and knuckled the chain up inside the cover on the engine. I think had I been going full out it would have shattered the motor and thrown me over the dashboard...there's a reason for slow break ins :)

LOTS of tuning opportunities on this thing, both on the bike itself as well as fine tuning the adjustments on the engine and accessories. I also think there's a lot more power to be made with this little pumper. I've got little experience tuning 2 stroke (or 4 stroke for that matter) engines, but know how to GOOGLE, which makes me an expert.

After a good run in, I see myself breaking things apart, locktite'ing or spot welding everything, and figuring out more on carb tuning or jetting these things so it'll scream.

Needs more torque for light hill climbing in the neighborhood here, top speed I don't think is a problem. I don't think changing teeth will be needed once things get broke in and ironed out. Lots of friction at play until some adjustments are made.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
you could put a shift kit on there. that would be the first multi-speed motorized chopper bicycle. cool bike so far, though. definitely unique.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
looks cool.
the way back machine .
reminds me of way back,when we cut off a couple sets of bike forks and slipped them together to make our choppers.
didnt know anything about welders or drills and bolts for that matter.
wheelies were fun-til the forks fell apart-lol.

nice work,keep the pictures coming.