Do the ALL the Aluminum hub adapters use a standard 415 chain?

GoldenMotor.com

thingswithwelding

Mar 22, 2016
Long Beach CA
Ok, im building my first motorbicycle. Its a 79cc Predator with the AGK clone jackshaft plate from Gasbike.net. The Gasbike.net site says the chains are number 415 but not specifically the output to the rear wheel sprocket. I assume it will be since the others are. Now for my concern. Im in the market for a rear Aluminum hub clamping type adapter sprocket adapter+sprocket that they sale on Gasbike and ebay etc. I have a few questions. 1. Are all the rear sprocket hub kits all 415 chains? Because, they dont state what they are. 2. Will any ebay 415 chain work? (im confident they will) ..3. Whats the H for in the 415 H chain? Will ill either or be fine? Should I stay away from one or the other in my situation/setup? I appreciate some feedback. Thanks. Cheers Thingswithwelding.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Yes the 415 fits all the rear Cnc or steel sprockets that gas bike or any vendors sell. Yes the eBay chains listed as 415 will be fine. I would use a 41 chain, its better made, pre stretched in most cases, has a slightly wider holes making it a bit less fussy, less noises and is made more precise.( understatement here ). Way more precise!
. You can get a 41 chain at most hardware stores along with a chain breaker and a pin riveter. That way you can avoid the sometimes problematic master links that end up in a twisted ball of metal on the road at times. The 415H listings... I wondered what the H meant myself and guess it means heavy duty, but I am not 100 percent sure. Someone will know and chime in. Maybe it means horribly made for all I know. Hope that helps a little.

Last edited:

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Use the kind of chain your sprockets were made for. I like 41 chain and I even use it on a CG engine but I already know it will wear faster because it is too fat for the sprocket. The minimum sprocket thickness for 41 should be about 60% of the clearance in your chain links. So this would be around .150" best would be at least .200" thick. 415 chain will also be lighter than 41. With a 79cc you won't be breaking 415 chains if they are properly set up.

The difference between good and bad master links is in the groove thickness to clip thickness clearance. Better master links will fit in the grooves with practically zero slop, but then bad ones will fit loosely leading to problems. It has nothing to do with the chain size but everything to do with the quality of the part.

Far as breaking chains I do everything with a vise, punch and small hammer. A well setup and properly maintained chain won't give you any problems- if you're concerned it's a lot easier to carry some master links than your entire chain breaker tool.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Some 415 master links have been made out of very soft steel and the clip is not made of spring steel and visually looks good but fails right away, some are good quality and also have a C clip that has an extra bridge in the center also. A chain breaker set allows the chain to be fit to the bike without the use of master links and you know what they say about the weakest link...lol

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Chains don't actually stretch. That's a term used to describe roller wear. As the rollers wear, the distance between the rollers increases. This is the "stretch" that gets talked about.

You can get quality 415 chain, you can get garbage china 415 chain. The same applies to 41. 415 is not a brand, it's not weak by design, it's just a different size of chain (slightly narrower than 41). It fits 415 sprockets... almost like it was designed for it.