walbro stage 2 kit

GoldenMotor.com

woogie_man

Aug 9, 2013
Fargo, ND
Well bought this kit from jnm motors. Broke the fuel inlet port, fixed with a 5/32" brass tube. Went for a test drive after I finally got everything on the bike.....nothing happened. Am I missing something with this carb? Fuel line hooked up, bolted to motor, seals in place, fuel to carb, fuel in carb primer bowl......only thing that happened was me getting tired.

Need some help guys
.duh.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Is the spark plug dry? Does it have spark?

If so, gently bottom out the mixture screws - then back them out 1.5 to 2 turns.

Make sure the throttle plate is open a little - an extra turn on the idle speed screw is a good place to start.

Pump the primer bulb a few times - this does not put fuel in the engine. Close the choke all the way, and crank it to fire.

Pull the clutch in as soon as you hear it fire - it will probably die. Open the choke & try to start it again. It will probably be running rich, but you can adjust the needles from there without hurting the engine.

woogie_man

Aug 9, 2013
Fargo, ND
I will give it a try when I get home from work today.

The only other thing I can think of is if I put the mounting plate on backwards. Because I can't figure out how this thing pumps being as there isn't anything going to the motor. When i pump the priming bulb, it fills up, and squirts out a small port next to the bulb when full.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
That port should have a hose nipple on it.
When you pump the primer bulb, it bleeds the air out of that port & returns the fuel to the tank.

Is there no crankcase connection for the diaphragm in the carb? Trying to get one to pump properly without a separate connection to the crankcase pulse can be nearly impossible, and very frustrating.

Have any pics of the install?

woogie_man

Aug 9, 2013
Fargo, ND
Correct there is no port going to the engine. I will get pictures here tonight. Planning on taking everything apart on the carb, making sure it is clean and reinstalling it again.

There is the pulse port on the carb, but thinking I possibly installed the mounting plate backwards and it has a closed port. Will see when I get home tonight.

woogie_man

Aug 9, 2013
Fargo, ND
Ok having issues loading pictures. But I have the fuel port, and a port next to the prime bulb. Though it looks like it is broken.

Last edited:

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Yes, the return line barb is broken off. That black plastic cylinder should have a 1/8" hose barb off of the side of it.

That carb needs a return line to the tank, and the engine side mounting flange has a small hole that communicates to the crankcase on the string trimmer it came off of.

I can't imagine trying to get that carb to work without a crankcase pressure pulse & no return line. I would return that mess to the vendor for a refund.

woogie_man

Aug 9, 2013
Fargo, ND
I was able to figure out how to get this thing to work. But while getting a barbed connector the top plate of the carb fell out of my pocket, fell beside my truck and as I was pulling out of the parking lot I ran over it. I didn't notice this until I drove home, and was getting ready to drill things out. Couldn't find the past so drove back across town only to find my part laying on the ground in two parts.

So now I need to find a replacement. There is a shop in town that the service guy has a small box full of parts. Hoping they are open tomorrow to see if I can get one from the spare parts box. If not have to order.....yay, more waiting

woogie_man

Aug 9, 2013
Fargo, ND
Well I talked to the tech from JNM and looked through the info he linked. Found two different ways of getting the carb to work. Tried them both with no luck, so a wasted weekend, and another week I can't ride my bike.

I have an e mail sent to the company along what they plan on doing, because as of right now my bike is worthless. Well keep everyone informed.

woogie_man

Aug 9, 2013
Fargo, ND
Well after talking to a local kart racing guy at work he was able to figure the carb out. Apparently the metering valve or something was set wrong. While we were talking I got to thinking about the compression, will rested it out and found that my engine was only at 70psi.

So I took off the cylinder, cleaned off the old gunk and replace with new gallery material and seals. Letting dry over night hoping for higher compression.